xantia 1999 heater blower no max

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

raj001
My Cars:

xantia 1999 heater blower no max

Post by raj001 »

xantia 1.8i 16v sx with a/c heater blower works on auto off and first few speed settings when slider moved to max blower cuts out, moving back to auto fan starts after a long delay. any help will be appreciated..
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

Maybe the slider control itself is faulty? I've had the problem of only the max position working, with no other settings turning the fan on, and this was due to faulty thyristors on the fan blower motor housing.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by raj001</i>

xantia 1.8i 16v sx with a/c heater blower works on auto off and first few speed settings when slider moved to max blower cuts out, moving back to auto fan starts after a long delay. any help will be appreciated..
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Have had that problem.
The current for the heater goes through the ignition switch that can't cope with 30Amp at high speed.
The electronics under the fan get reduced voltage and they lose reference to control the speed.
The reduced voltage also causes lack of current for high speed operation.
Mine would cause total loss of speed control.
I couldn't turn the fan off...it kept spinning at reduced speed on all settings, even 'off'.
I got given a hand-drawn diagram showing the ignition switch operating a relay that took the fan supply before the ignition switch and went to the fan through a 35Amp in-line fuse.
I got told very clearly that the diagram had to be ripped up when the job was done, and I duly did that.
This job involves the removal of the steering wheel and shrouds.
I broke the top shroud mounting in the process, and glued it back in.
I made a small hole in the top shroud to insert a screwdriver to reach the top mounting screw for next time I have to go there.
It is impossible to loosen the top screw without seeing it.
That arrangement is to make it difficult for the yobbos to reach the ignition wires to hotwire the car.
France has places where if you leave your car for half an hour, when you come back only the bones are left.
Everyone is telling me that that exists here too.
raj001
My Cars:

Post by raj001 »

Thanks will have a look @ wiring on slider controls, will look at transistors to see if they need replacing,
- direct power to motor max speed no problem
- engin running and tripping relay manually on speed resistor max speed ????