ZX Rattling Sound - Strut Bearing?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Marlon65
My Cars:

ZX Rattling Sound - Strut Bearing?

Post by Marlon65 »

Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for your answer under the "steering problem" subject. I decided to make this a new topic since it's not related to the steering problems.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Do you mean you think the track rods are rattling at the rack end? I don't think this is a commonly serviceable part - usually a difficult joint to get apart and locked by staking or something. It might be that if you peeled the boot back taking care not to get dirt in it you could grease the joint.
Otherwise I think you are looking at a recon rack if it is that joint.
The other bearing that is overlooked is the bearing at the top of the strut. These are not easy to diagnose but are easily available and not very expensive. It is in fact a ball bearing and when it drys out/wears/goes rusty will rattle on broken ground.
jeremy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I just checked the book (Automotive Mechanics by Crouse & Anglin) to see exactly where the strut and the bearing you mentioned. Based on the sketch in the book, there's a bearing above the spring. I want to attach a scanned copy but I don't know how to do it in this message. Anyway, I think you're right.
By the way, 4 years ago, the dealer changed the Macpherson strut (the whole thing inside the spring) upon my request. I decided to change it due to the leak around it. I said maybe it's old and the reason for some sound on bad roads. After they changed it, I would hear a sound whenever I turn the steering in extreme. When I brought it back, I found out that the mechanic put the top bearing in the opposite side (upside down). I don't know how a dealer's mechanic could make such a mistake. I wanted to complain him but I didn't want him to be in trouble and I want to have a diplomatic relationship with him for my future car troubles.
Going back to my problem, changing such bearing would require a special tool to press the spring down. I would then have to arrange this job to a professional. But I understand that this top bearing would be in a lot of pressure in rough roads. That's why it's a common source of rattling sound problem? Note that I hear no noise at all on smooth roads. But changing lanes in highways with reflectorized dividers is an irritation because the sound is like the wheels are about to go or the wheel bearing are very bad whenever I pass through the dividers.
How can I insert a picture in this message? After clicking the "insert icon" it inserted this one "."
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

To compress the front road springs you need a set of compressors like this:http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040211224
To put images on here have a look at the hints and tricks section.
jeremy
Marlon65
My Cars:

Post by Marlon65 »

Here's a picture I got from the link Anders shared yesterday.
[img]f:\zx_suspension.jpg[/img]
Based on the unlabelled picture, I think no. 5 is the top bearing of my front suspension. I'll look for a coil spring compressor in the local shop here in Kuwait. If I do find one, I'll buy the bearings. How many coil spring compressors do I need, I think minimum two? Here's another picture showing the cross section of top portion of the front suspension. It's the one that say bearing (shaded in yellow) isn't it?
[img]f:\TopBearing.jpg[/img]