ZX 1.9D upgrade to 1.9TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

erico
My Cars:

ZX 1.9D upgrade to 1.9TD

Post by erico »

Has anyone on the forum done a turbocharger upgrade on a ZX 1.9D? My girlfriend and I just bought the car. I plan on adding a few ponies to it as soon as I get some insight on the parts that I will need to transplant from a donor(junkyard) auto. I am anxiously waiting for the manuals that I ordered to arrive.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

To start with the TD used a different gearbox/final drive as well as disc brakes all round and different front suspension - struts and droplinks. Then you may need a bigger radiator, and so it goes on.
Its easier and probably cheaper to buy a TD and sell the one you've got.
jeremy
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Pistons, conrods etc etc - with second hand ZX TD's being so cheap it really isn't worth the bother.
Give the non turbo ZX an Italian tune up, change the filters, make sure the brakes aren't dragging, then a give it another Italian tuneup.
So long as you don't lose your momentum on a hill, the normally aspirated ZX can be hustled along as a reasonable pace so long as they're not clogged up.
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

hi erico, I was going to do just that to my 1.9d.. but as well as previously advised changes, the turbodiesel engine also has internal differences to cope with the increased output (such as oil cooling to the underside of the piston crowns for example)and I never got as far as looking at how to get the oil feed and return to the turbo. I too was really game for the conversion but had to admit defeat in the end. To make you feel better though, if you get the 1.9d running right as it should then it can have a surprising turn of speed. (I opened the max fuel screw just a tadge at a time till it smoked too badly on full load, then backed it off a bit and that perked it up a bit - but take proper advice on this first !) Also a new air filter makes a difference
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Can I point out... my zx is a TD, and has the same droplinks as the 1.9D, and only has drums on the back, but does have vented discs on the front. As far as I can tell, the suspension is the same. Its only the volcanes that differ. Il say the TD is a much faster engine than the NA engine, however the NA is a quick car for a diesel. And to boot, as far as I can tell they both go as fast as each other, just one takes longer to get there.
I have noticed that the NA isn't as good for towing (specially up a hill) - infact pretty poor as compared the turbo - which is why I opted for the turbo.
My final point would be, is it really worth it? For general driving, unless you have a heavy right foot, the NA is fine. If you are really set on a TD, then buy a TD, no point messing about upgrading or changing engines.
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

One significant differnce between the 1.9D and TD is that the TD lump has oil jets to cool the underside of the pistons. I expect that may be fairly important.
Given you can pick up a 1.9TD lump from Ebay for £50 or a bit more, that way would be quicker and probably cleaner!
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

I rekon the 1.9D is fast enough. It's only above 70mph where you really notice the difference. It's a nice, straightforward, economical motor.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

I used to have 1.9D, put decent tyres on it, regularly renewed filters and fluids and it used to fly along once on the move. Not a drag strip starter, but suprisingly quick nevertheless, just need a bit more space/planning to wind it up for overtakes etc. problem i had was sticky brakes - had to service calipers on a regular basis otherwise they would drag.
Only changed as some idiot ran into back quarter and not overly happy with repair - saw what i got now for sale locally, so rude not to swap.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Cant say that my 1.9d is that slow and knowing how to drive it will help...just make sure the air filter and the fuel (diesel) filter have been changed...there was noticable difference once my diesel filter was changed
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I must say I've always been impressed by the way the 1.9D ZX goes - will run all day at an indicated 85 or more if I wanted to. As you know I also have a TD BX Estate and its noticeable how much more grunt the ZX (YES THATS TRUE!) has at extreemly low revs. In fact the weight of the 2 cars is similar and the ZX is actually broader. The BX really has the advantage for overtaking up motorway hills and hill climbing in general but the ZX hums along sweetly without temperament all the time.
Jeremy
erico
My Cars:

Post by erico »

Well..thanks for the prompt responses. I believe I will just think about it and wander on over to the junkyard to see what the differences are.[8D]