406 rear door. It will not open!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Reggie
My Cars:

406 rear door. It will not open!

Post by Reggie »

When I came to open the rear offside door on the 406 today.....it wouldn't.
I have taken the inner door cover off and both connecting rods that pull the mechanism to release the door are still connected and operating (from outside and from inside the car), as is the rod that actuates the central locking. The central locking on the electrical system still operates the on the lock moving the said lever.
I cannot remove the door opening/locking mechanism as it is secured from behind the door (in the recess in front of the inner wing) as I cannot open the door to get to the three screws.
The mechanism is covered with a plastic cover which has one screw securing it, but it cannot be removed without destroying it as there is a lever riveted and this has been done after the cover was fitted.
I have tried gently kicking the door from the inside with both the inner and outer handles being in the "open the door" position and with the lock definately unlocked on the mechanism with no joy.
If the problem was associated wth the child lock, then surely the outside handle would open the door.
Does anybody know how to open the mechanism from inside the door, or is it a matter of destroying the plastic cover and hoping there is something that I can pull or push to release the door an then be able to remove the locking closing mechanism?
Reggie
Reggie
My Cars:

Post by Reggie »

I have sorted it. I tried various attack plans which I will not go into, but the only method in the end was to destroy the lock through the hole on the inside of the door with the interior panel off, with a screw driver, a drill and a soldering iron to melt the plastic which surrounds it. Not easy due to the very limited access.
It took me over two hours but I have released the door, and by putting the swiveling "locking piece" which is still on the backplate back in position manually can secure the door for now.
What caused it will remain a mystery, but I suspect that either the lock was not releasing where it mattered ( the rods etc were all moving arms on the lock), or possibly a spring that releases the locking plate may have broken. Who knows?
Does anybody know of any good Pug breakers who are likely to be able to supply me a second hand lock? I live in West Yorks, but will pay postage if not local.
Reggie
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

unfortunat i just threw a door in the local tip today which had the lock still in it! its one of those items that dosnet normaly sell so you should get one cheep.
Andy