652 visa ignition

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

652 visa ignition

Post by citronut »

some one i know has 652 visa tried changing ecu,coil,it drives for a while then cuts out,two days ago he drove it 10 miles left it running it cut out now wont start,tried old ecu back on still dont start,there is live at coil and tick over solinoid with ignition on,he tested sensors week ago said they checked out ok,ant ideas regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Malcolm -
The Visa engines does not have an "ECU" [;)]
- it's a fairly simple transistor-ignition module.
Same type as you find on all AX/BX/CX carburettor engines - and more : the ignition setup is exactly the same on these models.
Furthermore you can use ANY round ignition coil for testing. It's only for higher engine revs you need the special low-ohmic coil.
You have a strong blue spark - at least 12mm in lenght when testing the ignition ?
And it appears at ALL 4 plugs ?
BTW : I have only ever replaced the ignition module once on my present runner - out of 5 BX'es and 1 CX in my ownership.
But several times I have had problems with the 7pole connector for the module.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

ooops -
The 652 Visa would have the 2cyl 2CV engine ?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

anders! i know i had dealings with these system years back when i worked at citroen service agents,i also have not as yet had time to go through this car myself,i have just relayed info over phone to my freind,he has borowed a coil of the 652 visa i am breaking,add on this site for sale,i do know it is no an ecu i was yoking much regards malcolm
Jon

Post by Jon »

Malcolm, a lot of the 2cv 4x4's run the 652cc engine complete with "brain". I go on quite a few off road weekends.
Our usual problems are either dirty flywheel sensors, or intermittant contact at the sensors. The other thing worth checking is all earths, especially the ones to the ECU. I've had them where they just will not fire at all, often earthing direct to the battery negative and cleaning all earths then vaselining them helps.
Jon
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

cheers jon,not to mentoin anders ha ha,if and when i go to check it out i will look that diretion regards malcolm
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

have you checked the two sensors that are screwed into the gearbox bell housing.quite common for one to fail.sounds like one of these sensors is playing up!
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

if you need any parts for a 652cc visa look in the sales/wanted section,CITRONUT has bits for sale[:)]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

If Its anything like the other sensors in the Citroen range(especially CX) then they will be ok when measure cold but the resistance will go to pot when they warm up. If its any help ECAS still stock both types of flywheel sensor for the 652 engines.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thank tonespeed i will ask myself if i will sell me some of the parts of 652 in my add,dont look like you read all regards malcolm
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

i must have been half asleep[:D]
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

whaky whaky