Judder from clutch??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zzf00l
My Cars:

Judder from clutch??

Post by zzf00l »

Xantia 1.9TD 1999
I am experiencing a violent juddering when changing down and releasing the clutch. This juddering seems at it's worse at speed, perhaps changing down from above 40mph. No problem when starting from rest! Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.
Cheers Ian
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The more common causes would also be present when taking off from start ?
#1 suspect would be engine mounts rubber.
#2 suspect is an oil contaminated clutch
#3 suspect would be loose/missing gearbox to engine mounting bolts
As a guess I'd say a broken spring in the friction plate could give worse clutch symptoms at speed.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My older Xantia did this for half a day then stopped doing it. About 2 years later the clutch disintegrated, the springs managed to escape from the friction plate, that was when I bought a new Xantia. The old one did <i>eventually</i> get sorted out and all is well again.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

try adjusting clutch,if it is biteing at wrong point dose cause judder regards malcolm
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Ok, I'll try the easy things first :-) Check for soft/broken mountings, clutch adjustment and if still no joy I'll try a new clutch.
Cheers Guys
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Changing down to use engine braking makes sense in racing, where the brakes take a terrific beating, but for almost anything else it is preferable to use the brakes to increase deceleration. Less work, smoother deceleration, and replacing a clutch is about 10 times the cost of servicing the brakes.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PeterMann</i>

Changing down to use engine braking makes sense in racing, where the brakes take a terrific beating, but for almost anything else it is preferable to use the brakes to increase deceleration. Less work, smoother deceleration, and replacing a clutch is about 10 times the cost of servicing the brakes.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Except when you're going down a long decent especially when heavilly laden where the brakes will overheat, then engine braking is a necessity.
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Point accepted with regards to engine braking, but I was simply changing to a lower gear to be in the correct gear for the vehicle speed... not for engine braking!