citroen zx head gasket

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daveball
My Cars:

citroen zx head gasket

Post by daveball »

Because of an oil leak,I've just spent one and a half days getting to my head gasket with the help (misnomer!!!!) of the Haynes manual..Frankly I've had enough. I've bought in advance both types of gasket as the shops were due to shut for the weekend. Now having got it off I find that on the original (presumably) there is a separate orifice plate made of thin metal on one corner of the oil gallery, that seals from the head to the block independently of the HG, whilst sitting inside the oval cutout of the HG.I assume this is to restrict the oil flow. Do I assume that Citroen have decided that this restrictor is not really needed, or do I wait and visit the Citroen dealer- which I can't do until Monday obviously. Has anyone else come across this problem and can advise????
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The ZX uses the same engine as other Citroen models.
Is it the 1.9diesel (turbo ?)
- or what petrol size ?
In any case it is wrong just replacing the headgasket.
A headgasket does not "wear" [8]
There is always a reason why it fails - like an overheated engine at some time which has caused the cylinder head to warp.
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

Yeps. I had a simmilar experience doing the gasket on my ZX (1.4i) where I found a small gasket as well. Frankly I thourght I lost this small extra gasket from my set. I could nok make out what good it was doing though, as it did not seem to seal anything. So, I inquiring at the supplier (not a main dealer) and asked the cummulative wisdom of this forum, and unfortunatly nowbody seemed to have a clue. In the end I decided it was just one of the strange fixes I found the main dealer had done before I decided to do everyting myself, and I just put it all together without the small extra gasket, and it's been running absolutely fine and without any problems since. Hearing that you also had this extra gasket, I wonder what it's actually doing..?
daveball
My Cars:

Post by daveball »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

The ZX uses the same engine as other Citroen models.
Is it the 1.9diesel (turbo ?)
- or what petrol size ?
In any case it is wrong just replacing the headgasket.
A headgasket does not "wear" [8]
There is always a reason why it fails - like an overheated engine at some time which has caused the cylinder head to warp.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It is the 1.9 turbo diesel. The seal on the small gasket is actually broken so that is the basic problem, . The cylinder head is not warped.It has not got hot, it runs well, it is just leaking oil to the outside of the head.
daveball
My Cars:

Post by daveball »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mads</i>

Yeps. I had a simmilar experience doing the gasket on my ZX (1.4i) where I found a small gasket as well. Frankly I thourght I lost this small extra gasket from my set. ....... and I just put it all together without the small extra gasket, and it's been running absolutely fine and without any problems since. Hearing that you also had this extra gasket, I wonder what it's actually doing..?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The small gasket seems to restrict the flow of oil to the cylinder head so that the oil can feed elsewhere. However as the oil comes into the plate at 10mm, and exits at 6mm, into the cylinder head hole of 7mm, it seems to be slightly unnecessary. It does have its own extra seal but that is what has broken, so not sure that is advantageous.
How long have you been running yours since you did the change?
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

It's been about 1-1½ years and appoximatly 15000-20000km (my sister in law is driving it now, so I'm not sure about the mileage). From your description it seems to be the same sort of setup, but surely it must be doing something usefull and at least remotely important... I'm just wandering why I (and you?) got the gasket-set without the small gasket ? Someone on this forum must know the answer ??
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

this seal was part of the head gasket not a separet piece,if it is not on new gasket you have probably bought a cheap one,also you might be throwing money awy if you dont have head face skimed and sink valves to corect depth regards malcolm