ZX 1.4 Aircon Solenoid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Marlon65
My Cars:

ZX 1.4 Aircon Solenoid

Post by Marlon65 »

My '95 ZX 1.4 (petrol) at 236k is having an aircon problem. Actually the cooling is fine and I'm quite impressed with its original compressor, but when the compressor kicks in, the idle lowers to near zero. The engine would continue running but vibration would set in due to the lowered RPM. It's been a month now and before bringing to the shop, I made some tests to be sure that the carburetor solenoid for the A/C is not working. I found out that both solenoids are working fine because whenever I connect it to it's 12v power manually, I would hear a clicking sound. By the way I'm not sure which of the two solenoids is for the A/C but my guess is it's the vertical one. Because the horizontal, when disconnected, puts off the engine while running in idle. The vertical solenoid, when disconnected with the engine in idle, has no effect, even when the A/C is engaged or disengaged. I noticed a hose close to the vertical solenoid and I disconnected it while the engine was running, it made no effect. I put my hand close to the hose's end and I couldn't feel any air coming in or out of it. I think it's not the solenoid, I think it's the source of that hose (12mm in diameter) which goes to the side. What is this hose, is there supposed to be an air coming in/out of it? What is the source of this hose?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

On a carburettor engine you should have some kind of mechanical means to compensate for the A/C load at idle - on the carburettor.
Look for any linkage that could possibly alter the idle revs - other than the accelerator cable itself.
Most likely a vacuum actuator controlled by the solonoid in question.
Marlon65
My Cars:

Post by Marlon65 »

There is a L shape rod controlled by a (vacuum) diaphram but I think that is to keep the RPM steady when you release your foot from the accelerator pedal? I'm not sure but I might be wrong. At one time removed my ZX carburetor to clean it, that was after I watched somebody do it on the same car. But that was months ago. I noticed that there were two small holes along the cylindrical wall just below the throttle. I believe one of the holes is for the A/C solenoid.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Try if you can find any info here : http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/Carburation/
Marlon65
My Cars:

Post by Marlon65 »

Hi Anders,
I downloaded the PDF files in the site you gave and the Carb2.PDF provided a very useful information. After printing and reading it, it answered many questions I've been asking since I started fixing minor problems in ZX '95. Anyway, ruling out the vertical & the horizontal solenoids attached to the carb, as they were not connected to the A/C step-up action, I concentrated to the mechanical linkage as you said.
There was a diaphragm at the end of the rod and a screw at the very end. Before touching anything, I started the car and and checked the L shaped rod that was having a 5mm space with the accelerator link. When I put ON the A/C, the RPM was near zero and vibration was very obvious. So I unscrewed the screw at the very end and the RPM started to increase.
Thanks a lot man. You helped my almost 1-month problem which I was solving by stepping in the pedal to compensate the low RPM. I'll be asking more questions later.
Marlon/Kuwait ZX 1.4 Manual
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what you should think now is what/why this went out of adjutment,it may be trough tinkering or it is a fault with a device regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Credits to Bob Smith for offering the information on his website [;)]