Most Reliable?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jochem
My Cars:

Most Reliable?

Post by jochem »

Lots of posts about Xantias, not many about Xsaras.......does that mean they are the least reliable or the most popular? [;)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The suspension on Xantias is different to other cars and so there isn't a lot of people who understand them, hence the questions need to be asked of people who understand oleopneumatic. The Xsara has standard springs and dampers, and everybody understands those.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Which is why there are a number of threads relating to ZX suspensions which is essentially the same as Xsara.
The answer to your question probably is that they are not old enough to have got in the hands of DIY enthusiasts, and also that the ZX is such a good car that the prevailing advice is if you've got a good one hang on to it rather than routinely upgrade.
Jeremy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jochem</i>

Lots of posts about Xantias, not many about Xsaras...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
But there's a very lot more Xantias on the roads than there are Xsaras. The Xsara has only become more popular during the last three years.
jochem
My Cars:

Post by jochem »

suspension.....I seem to recall that this was one of the things reviews of the Xsara warned people about....plus ca change!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

... and most of the Xantias, by virtue of their age and price, are in the hands of those of us that have to repair things ourselves.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Zx and Zxara are both well built cars but neither has the ride or the brakes of a Xantia or BX. Reliability? buy Japanese.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I think this board has become "BX/Xantia Anonymous" to some extent too. A lot of people wanting to discuss hydro Cits tend to flock here. Whereas on a certain rival messageboard, Citroens only get around half as many topics as BMW or Peugeot do.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Birds of a feather flock to gether. I like the banter on the site and I'm currently driving both a Mazda and Reno Megane.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I'm in the minority group...I drive an XM.
jochem
My Cars:

Post by jochem »

Driving a Xsara now, but as a child my uncle had a fantastic burgundy late 60's DS, this got me the Citroen bug.....alas I think it just went for scrap in the end. As a grown up I had a BX....loved it to bits, but it cost much more to repair than it did to buy. Then an AX, and now a Xsara hdi via a fantastic and totally reliable 205 GRD (175k and still going strong when I sold her). I wanted a Xantia, but was a wee bit scared of tackling any bits and bobs myself; so copped out and got something a bit simpler!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Of course BXs cost much more to repair than to buy. BXs are so cheap that many people give them away.
jochem
My Cars:

Post by jochem »

I know they do now, but this was 10 years ago, and we made the mistake of buying a 1.4 petrol model.....lovely suspenders, but a gutless and thrashy engine :o(