406 Fuel Flap

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fatbugger
My Cars:

406 Fuel Flap

Post by fatbugger »

Hi all
This may seem a stupid question. Just bought a 1998 Peugeot 406 TD. Fuel flap release at side of drivers seat does not release flap. Presume cable stretched or needs adjusting. Any one any ideas as how to rectify as my arms are not long enough to pull lever and push flap at same time. Locking peg not quite clearing enough for flap to spring out.
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

I never had this problem when I had my 406, but someone I know used wedge the cigarette lighter under the lever to solve the problem.
Paul.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Unclip the boot side carpet & pull the emergency release handle to open the flap.
hill

Post by hill »

Mine broke recently. In my case it was not a problem with the cable or release but the flap itself. I had to hang my keys out of the flap to put a bit of pressure on it to get it to open. At the hinge end (front) of the fuel flap are three curved (Shaped like a letter 'J') bits of plastic that are part of the fuel flap moulding. They all clip around the pin which acts as the hinge. The centre one of these three is pushed on constantly by a sprung plunger. When you pull the fuel flap release the pin pulls back at the rear of the flap and the plunger pushes the flap open. With mine, the centre 'j' broke so even pulling the emergency release would not work. The broken 'j' was still just about attached, just flapping uselessly, so I bonded it back in place and bonded a block of plastic behind it to support it. Depending on the glue you use, I used a marine epoxy resin, it may not be advisable to push the flap fully shut until it has fully hardened. If the 'j' is missing you may be able to fashion something to fit and bond it on. If not, it may be a new flap and the associated colour match lottery.
fatbugger
My Cars:

Post by fatbugger »

Thanks for the info. I think I just need to know if I can adjust the cable at all? Everything else is working o.k. and intact.
fatbugger
My Cars:

Post by fatbugger »

O.K. Pulled back side carpet in boot. No emergency release handle just the flat panel of the inner wing and the strut to hold the boot open. Any one any further ideas?
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Is it not the same as on the 306 where by you have to remove the rear wheel and the plastic wheel arch liner?