Xantia wipers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

peteev
My Cars:

Xantia wipers

Post by peteev »

Xantia 1.9 TD N reg: Driving home tonight in the rain the wipers suddenly stopped in the upright position and stayed there. Moments later a strong burning smell. Pulled in and invesigated as much as I could in the rain but no fire so waited for the rain to ease and continued on. Anyone with similar experience and if so what did it turn out to be? I am guessing the wiper motor has burned out.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

could as well be a weak (corroded or chafed) connection burned out. But not unheard of a burnt motor as well - but rarely happens. Not a known weakness.
peteev
My Cars:

Post by peteev »

Thanks Anders, Tomorrow morning I will be able to have a good check over but before that any info on the job is useful. I will report back
Tom.Abd
My Cars:

Post by Tom.Abd »

Not too sure about the arangement for the linkages, but how about a jammed mechanisim stalling out the motor ?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if wipers stop part way trough sweap,motor is still powerd up so you will burn it out,unless your fuse blows first regards malcolm
peteev
My Cars:

Post by peteev »

Thanks guys, some good ideas there. It has been bucketing down with rain since my problem and only having the driveway to work on the car I have just left it for the moment. Hopefully tomorrow, (Sun)with a bit of fine weather I shall get to examine the damage.
peteev
My Cars:

Post by peteev »

Looks like I have scored an own-goal here! 6 weeks or so I renewed the heater matrix and of course the wiper assembly has to be removed. On replacement it looks as if I must have left one of the motor securing bolts not tight enough. It unwound and jammed the motor operating arm and hence stopped the motor, poor thing. The motor actually still works on setting it free but I think I will renew it with one from a scrappy, as it doesn’t sound as smooth as it used to. No wonder! I am amazed it still works, Anders is right it is a tough motor. Seems like another reason to leave that heater matrix well alone!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

heater matrix yuc regards malcolm