Stuffing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Stuffing

Post by rossnunn »

How difficalt would it be to remove the sound deadening & other rubbish in a silencer without cutting it open??
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Is "impossible" not the answer you're looking for?
The skin will be held on by a combination of crimping and welding so you might be able to unpick it but then again you might not. The silencers are good quality on the Xantia and made from relatively heavy steel so they could be difficult. Set to with a hammer and chisel and you'll find out the hard way...
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

The simple answer is - you have to slice the end off. Use a angle grinder or a good quality hacksaw, slice the tailpipe end off and remove what you want. *CAUTION BEWARE OF ASBESTOS* as some exhausts use asbestos in them for silencing/baffles. When you have finished you will have a clean break in the exhaust to weld up and it will look like a good job and you will have what you want. Hope this helps
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

You can probably slice the end off the sliencer but some designs have a continuous internal pipe if you know what I mean and if you cut the end off, you won't be able to weld this up again because the outer casing will get in the way.
If you could X-Ray it you'd be able to see how it's made without destroying it.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

might as well just buy a bit of striaght zorst pipe & replace the whole box
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Why not a proper box ?
A straight pipe will make you a pita for your neighbours [8]
- not a good basis for the odd over the fence beer.
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Is there a measurable benefit in mpg or bhp by doing a mod like this ? I always seem to use more fuel when my exhaust is knackered, although I would be happy to be proved wrong.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mpr1956</i>

Is there a measurable benefit in mpg or bhp by doing a mod like this ? I always seem to use more fuel when my exhaust is knackered, although I would be happy to be proved wrong.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thats a different reason. Exhaust pipes rely on the gas traveling a certain length before things happen to it. When you have a hole it affects the pressure waves used to remove exhaust gasses from the cylinders.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

AndersK - What neighbours? lol
I wanted to do it because I feel the exhaust is a little too quiet for a aftermarket jobbie. I would be a chap way of increasing noise without changing the box