405 coolant air bleed points

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SteveP

405 coolant air bleed points

Post by SteveP »

The air bleed point at the top of the radiator is leaking slightly. It is one of those black plastic plugs which turns about half a turn anticlockise then stops. Is it possible to remove the plug and replace the seal? Are spares available?
Also I have had problems with the bleed point on the thermostat housing leaking. It looks just like a tyre valve cap, but I thought it must be made of better material to stand the temperature, so I went to the Peugeot dealer to get a new one. Guess what, there is no part number because it is just a valve cap! So, depending on the quality of the valve cap it may be OK or it may leak and lose all your coolant. Not a brilliant design. Does anyone know of a decent cap for this? A metal one with a rubber seal would probably be best.
Any suggestions appreciated.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Is it just a valve cap, the same size as a tyre valve cap? If it is, then a tyre valve cap is just what you need to fix it!
But, it it's the "half a turn" typre radiator stop, then the seal is an O-ring attached to bottom of the post of the cap (take it out. you'll see what I'm talking about).
I've wrapped mine with a couple of turns of PTFE tape to stop the exact problem you've got.