CD multichanger

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chrispy
My Cars:

CD multichanger

Post by Chrispy »

Hi folks,
I have just taken delivery of a 2nd hand 6 CD multichanger for my car and I'm hoping to fit it at the weekend. It's a Clarion CDC634 with the round DIN plug lead. My head unit has the CD button on it which just says 'connect' every time I press it. Hopefully the changer lead will be the right one. If not, do I need some kind of cable adapter?
Now, I've looked under my drivers seat and behind the panel on the passenger side of the boot and cannot find a cable. Is it possibly on the drivers side instead? Failing that, if it's under the drivers seat, are they normally really well hidden?
I'm hoping the thing will just fit and that I don't have to pull the interior of the car to bits to do it. I'm tempted to put it under the seat, but I'm not sure how to pull the central console to bits to get the cable under it. Would the boot be a better option?
Cheers,
Chris.
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

is the head unit clarion as well, if not it will be difficult to get it to work
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

Post by Johnno »

For what it's worth, I fitted a Blaupunkt CD changer to my 97 Xantia. The unit was bought on Ebay and had the round connector. I contacted B/punkt and got the adaptor number then purchased it on-line from BlueSpot Car audio. I couldn't find any factory-installed cabling so I fitted the unit under the passenger's seat, feeding the cable from behind the head unit until it was visible through the keypad space (your's will have a 'change' holder - I'm assuming it will just pull out). I then fed the cable along the central console, undid the bolts under the ashtray on the rear, and lifted the console enough to feed the cable to the unit under the seat. The unit isn't bolted down and has been happily delivering music for some months now.
I think that Clarion units were fairly common. There are several threads on this forum on this very subject.
Hope this helps.
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citroenzx</i>

http://www.incardiscount.co.uk/acatalog/CITROEN.html is the bottom one any help?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Aha....that looks like the one. Mines a slightly older model but looks the same. The head unit is a 4035 I believe judging by the handbook. I hope the back of it it the round 13 pin DIN one.
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Johnno</i>

For what it's worth, I fitted a Blaupunkt CD changer to my 97 Xantia. The unit was bought on Ebay and had the round connector. I contacted B/punkt and got the adaptor number then purchased it on-line from BlueSpot Car audio. I couldn't find any factory-installed cabling so I fitted the unit under the passenger's seat, feeding the cable from behind the head unit until it was visible through the keypad space (your's will have a 'change' holder - I'm assuming it will just pull out). I then fed the cable along the central console, undid the bolts under the ashtray on the rear, and lifted the console enough to feed the cable to the unit under the seat. The unit isn't bolted down and has been happily delivering music for some months now.
I think that Clarion units were fairly common. There are several threads on this forum on this very subject.
Hope this helps.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ahh I see. Excellent! I shall give that a go. With the ride hight adjuster being on there I didn't wanna start just pulling it all apart. Firstly though I shall pull out the head unit and see what connector it takes. Hopefully it'll be the round 13 pin one and it'll just fit. If not, I'm hoping I can get an adaptor for it.
Am I right in thinking earlier cars had Blaupunkt ones and later cars (MKII's) had Clarions?
Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

Post by Johnno »

You may be right. With regard to access, the odds 'n ends holder behind the handbrake lever pulls out, giving you a way to guide the cable. I seem to remember unbolting the airbag control unit and moving it to one side to give additional clearance (treat with caution!). Persevere - it does work.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If you prefer to mount the changer in the boot, it's not difficult to run the cable from the head unit under the soundproofing above the passenger footwell and along the side of the car. Unclip the door seals, and it will fit nicely alongside the carpet edges. The seal will retain and protect it when refitted.
tanto
My Cars:

Post by tanto »

thats the way i installed mine easy to do and no prolems with engine noise coming through
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

Right, I've just pulled out the stereo and the lead does fit, powering up the multichanger ok. Problem is though, I think the magazine is stuck as it wont eject. It just whirrs when you press the eject button. Sigh...nothing is straightforward is it.....
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

Well, got it working last night. I had to pull the changer apart to get the magazine out. The slots for the CD's had popped out into the changer thus stopping it from ejecting. I popped them back in and then it ejected fine. Sounds pretty damn good too! I've decided to fit the unit in the boot and do it properly. Means I've got to pull the passenger side carpet up and take the trims off the door opening at the bottom. I hate taking interiors to bits! It always goes wrong.....
silverback

Post by silverback »

Thats how I did mine, but I did it on the drivers side.
Took about half an hour
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Means I've got to pull the passenger side carpet up and take the trims off the door opening at the bottom. I hate taking interiors to bits! It always goes wrong.....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Don't worry - it really is very easy on a Xantia. with care, the cable can be eased under the trim between the doors and beside the rear seat without removing it, so there's nothing much to go wrong[:)]
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

Really? So you don;t have to pull the door seal off at the bottom? Hmm....that would save a lot of work...
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

[quoteSo you don;t have to pull the door seal off at the bottom][/quote]
Yes, the seal has to come off, but it goes back easily and just as it came out. There are no screws etc. to relocate - it really is easy! It's the bits in between where the cable can be eased behind rather than removing the trim.