Fast idling

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hught

Fast idling

Post by hught »

I have a 1993 405 1.6 injection which is misbehaving. After driving through a deep puddle this winter I had misfiring problems which the recovery people finally fixed by squirting around a good bit of WD40 and replacing the spark plugs.
Ever since, the engine idles very high (almost 2000 rpm when cold and slowing to about 1200 rpm when hot). The Haynes manual says that the idle speed can't be adjusted as it's controlled by the ECU.
It seems to drive find and sounds pretty smooth. Any ideas of what might be wrong and how I can sort it out? Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Hugh
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

On a 1993 I'm assuming you'll have a CAT and a lambda sensor. When duff/ worn these can cause idle issues. Also, a duff throttle position sensor can trick the ECU into thinking you're pressing the throttle when you're not thus raising the idle speed. Otherwise look for vacuum leaks on the intake manifold side. Failing all this, get a diagnostic done. You may have some error codes flagged up.
ezee_duzit
My Cars:

Post by ezee_duzit »

What does he lambda sensor control and do you know where I might find it on a 306 1.8 XS?
Cheers
EZ
pugtramp
My Cars:

Post by pugtramp »

The Lambda sensor senses the air/fuel mixture ratio and feeds it back to the ECU. The ecu adjusts the fuelling to the injectors in order to optimise the air/fuel mixture sensed by the lambda sensor. You can find this sensor in the exhaust manifold or in the exh downpipe.