Fuel Tank Filler Horror Xantia 1.9TD Sorted

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

soupy_sam
My Cars:

Fuel Tank Filler Horror Xantia 1.9TD Sorted

Post by soupy_sam »

I had need to put fuel in my tank using a can with a plastic nozzle, unfortunatly the plastic nozzle came off and disapeared down the filler pipe (can't see it) it must be wedged down there as fuel will now go in VERY slowly.
How do I gain access to the pipe or tank to get the nozzle out please
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have a good look around the filler and tank and I expect you will find there is a large diameter pipe running from the filler to the tank. Undo the clip at the tank end and with luck the pipe will come off easily and the spout will come out when you straighten the pipe.
Alternatively you may be able to fish it out using a length of stiff wire with the end bent over to make a hook. Make sure you bend the end over before you start prodding around so that you don't go through the hose.
If it goes into the tank you probably have 2 large access holes in the top which if you're lucky can be got at under the back seat (both BX and ZX have them.) Take the gauge unit out (or pickup if you prefer) and try and find the spout!
As you've probably gathered I have no direct experience of Xantias but think the general principals apply.
jeremy
Jeremy
samcro

Post by samcro »

Have you tried getting a bit of stiff wire (coathanger or the like) and bending a hook in the end of it to try and 'fish' the nozzle out? Watch out that you don't end up pushing it
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

Removed the rear o/s wheel and the filler pipe runs around wheel arch, near tyhe bottom is a spring jubilee type clip. I removed the clip and pulled off the pipe, on the downpipe inset in the pipe is a trat that pulls out. Yes the offending piece was in the trap. What I thought was going to be a horror story took 5 minutes to sort out.
At least someone at Citroen got their design right.