River damage!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sheldon6

River damage!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by sheldon6 »

I took my 1.9th xania through a long ford today, unfortunatly 3/4 way through I noticed a bow wave coming over the bonnet mommetaraly before it died. 2hrs later after befeinding a farmer and getting it towed home I tried to fix it. it would not turn over so I pressumed it was full of water. removed the three easy glow plugs turned it over and pumped out the water. started it thought it was so connected all pipes ran again then locked solid. disasemble realise intercooler is brimmed also, repeat above using blowing intercooler out and reasemble.
car now runs on two cylinders with plenty of unburnt diesel from exhaust will occasionaly run on three. I dont for one minute expect that anyone has been as stupid as I but does anyone know how to get my normally exllent xantia back to full health???????
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

We have had a few cars out here that have been through some deepish water as we get those Tropical storms you see on the TV.
If too much water has got in the intake and it finds its way into the actual engine, you will get what is referred to as "hydraulic lock" which means the engine has locked up whilst trying to pump water (a non compressable substance) between the piston and the head and can cause some extremely major damage, usually bent con rods.
Looking at it logically, if the conrod hasn't bent, then a valve stem may have let go before it did. Not trying to be a Jobs comforter but there's a better than even chance the engine's had its chips.
Alan S
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

This does sound very much like the engine has suffered hydraulic lock, and is somewhat dead. Your best bet is to get another 1.9TD engine that hasn't been underwater, for £100, and change the whole thing. To rebuild this engine would not only take a long time, but also ££££. If you replace the engine, you'll then be able to break your old engine for whatever spares on it are any good (intercooler, Alternator, etc.) or keep them as spares for your own car.
Once an engine has been hydraulic-ed, it's pretty much the end of it's life.
jono

Post by jono »

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. As we travel in 'flood' areas I checked out where the air intake is on my Xantia HDi, by the side of the radiator and right at the bottom of it passinger side. I cannot think of a worse place. So I contacted Citroen regarding the permissible wading depth. Surprise, no information available. My old BX had the air intake high up in the inner wing, much safer place for it.
good luck
Jon
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jono</i>

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. As we travel in 'flood' areas I checked out where the air intake is on my Xantia HDi, by the side of the radiator and right at the bottom of it passinger side. I cannot think of a worse place. So I contacted Citroen regarding the permissible wading depth. Surprise, no information available. My old BX had the air intake high up in the inner wing, much safer place for it.
good luck
Jon
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I suffered similar fate with my rover 220sdi, air intake is at the BOTTOM of the bumper- ingested water and that was that!
On the xsara hdi the intake is where the front grille /badge is....
sheldon6

Post by sheldon6 »

Thanks for the responces, did not realise the severity of the problem. i can get the car to run on 2 cylinders occasionally three. is there any way to check if the motor is toat, before i junk the whole car??
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Pull the engine out - take the top off and look for damage and remove the bottom end and look for damage. Remove any other water you may find (probably lots) and repair any bent bits.
I have to confess if it was me and you were resigned to pulling the engine anyway I would consider having a replacment unit ready to slot straight in - for about £100 - £150 you can get an other 1.9 TD plant.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I had this happen some years ago with a Perkins 4/108 engine, it bent two con rods and took a chunk our of the bottom of one bore, I did rebuild it but diesel engines then were much more expensive and less freely available than they are now, so I would go along with previous posts.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Do a compression test I suppose should be the first move, followed by a check to see if TDC is still TDC and not TDC - 5 degrees by having the rocker cover off and testing the depth of the piston when marks indicate it is at the highest point. I saw a dial gauge used for that some time ago; can't remember how it worked now but it gave a definite result.
If the car is insured, this should be a genuine claim. Just be careful how you relate the story as it is better to have just swung around a corner and run into an unsuspecting water trap than to have been fording a crossing and run out of luck (if you know what I mean)[;)][;)]
Alan S
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Hmm.... I'll wager an insurance claim will cost more than £100 to £150
There will be the excess (£100 in most cases, often more), then loss of NCD and even with insured NCD future premiums will be weighted due to the claim.
I guess motor insurance works differently down under?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Homer</i>

Hmm.... I'll wager an insurance claim will cost more than £100 to £150
There will be the excess (£100 in most cases, often more), then loss of NCD and even with insured NCD future premiums will be weighted due to the claim.
I guess motor insurance works differently down under?
Err, no; Car values are much higher.
Here's a copy of an advert from our "Autotrader"
Citroen Xantia EXCLUSIVE
YEAR: 1998
ODOMETER: 79,500kms
PRICE: $25,990.00
GEARS: 4
BODY: 5 door hatchback
COLOUR: Brilliant white
INTERIOR TRIM:: Blue Leather
TRANSMISSION: 4 speed automatic
ENGINE: 3.0 litre 6
FUEL Petrol
Even so, in the advent of an insurance claim, you wouldn't expect a second hand motor to be fitted and it's for sure that you won't rebuild for 100 - 150 pounds.
Diesels are a scarey price to rebuild in any country.
Alan S
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Worth a punt with your insurance company, even if they write it off it would be better than throwing it way for nothing.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>

you won't rebuild for 100 - 150 pounds.
Diesels are a scarey price to rebuild in any country.
I have no idea of the cost of rebuilding or replacing the engine.
I was just assuming
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

for about £100 - £150 you can get an other 1.9 TD plant.
is correct.
An insurance claim assuming loss of 4 yrs NCD will cost at the very least £500 and could be over £1000 over the next 5 years depending on where the owner lives. Will most likely be much worse as the insurance company is likely to declare the vehicle uneconomical to repair. So they will pay market value (less excess) which will probably only get you a replacement of dubious history.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Get the engine replaced.....will cost a heck of a lot less than insurance claim and the claim will hang over you for years to come...just make sure the replacement is done properly and correctly (unlike poor Wilkobob)....it seems to be the modern way of just sourcing the bits instead of going through insurers
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Yeah, went through the insurance for mine. They wrote it off and gave me £2100. Which i was well happy with as it had done 110k on the clock, but before I got it it had been clocked back by about 45k (which I obviously didnt know when I got it).
You might be best off going through insurance if you are fully comp.. did use up 2years of the no claims though....