Poor starting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Anniesmike
My Cars:

Poor starting

Post by Anniesmike »

Last Wednesday, our 1994 Xantia 1.9TD wouldn'start from cold, and after 4 or 5 attempts, the battery started going down - OK it was 6 years old, so - new battery. Starting is better but not 100 percent; so, having next checked power to the glow plugs and found it OK, my next job would seem to be a new set, but before I start skinning my knuckles, can anyone suggest other things to check please?
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

New glow plugs would be my next move. You can check them with a multi-meter. Low resistance (about an Ohm) says OK. Open circuit = dead. If one or 2 are dead, the others will soon be failing.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If the glowplugs are conducting the chances are that they are ok. You could check the timer, they should come on and stay on for about 45 secs after the engine starts but i don't think this is your problem.
Is your fast idle device working? this should advance the timing at first - and give a distinctly faster idle, dropping when the engine warms up. Again not really likely to prevent the engine starting.
the most likely cause is air in the fuel - pipes age and shrink - and let air in. As there is no separate fuel lift pump air is drawn in and diesel doesn't leak out. You may be able to fix a problem with a simple jubilee clip. Other palces air can get in are the fuel filter if its not sealing properly and the leakoff pipes on Bosch pumps only. If the leakoff pipes look suspect replace them.
jeremy
Anniesmike
My Cars:

Post by Anniesmike »

Thanks, I'll let you know what happens
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If it misfires and emits white smoke for a few seconds after start up it will allmost certainly be the glowplugs. If all four are OK you will get a reading of about 1/4 ohm but it is very difficult to get a good enough contact to be accurate. Do you have an old car Ammeter, if you connect it in series with the feed to the plugs, it should read about 10 - 15 amps per good plug, so four good ones would give you 40 - 60 amps and pro rata.
Anniesmike
My Cars:

Post by Anniesmike »

Oh well, one lives and (Hopefully) learns - I touched the flowback pipes and they more or less disintegrated, so 40 minutes and £4 later,problem solved PTL!
Thanks for all your help
Mike[:D]