Xantia Temps

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mattpc

Xantia Temps

Post by mattpc »

My 1.9TD with heater matrix that was leaking (now forte stopleaked ;) ) seems to have some funny ideas about temps. It usually sits at 70-75c when driving along at 30mph or sitting on the motorway at 70-80mph. This temp will rise 80c if it goes up a long hill or sits in traffic. If it sits in traffic a while the temp will rise up to 90c eventually. I thought the fans must be knackered cos they never seem to kick in. However, on a hot sunny evening last week I decided to leave it running on the drive and see what happened. Gradually the temp got higher and higher and eventually at maybe 95c the fans kicked in ( i always assumed the fans were knackered as they've never kicked in before to my knowledge!!). Anyway the point is that isn't 70-75c rather low for a warmed up car to be sitting at? The girlfriends Xsara sits at about 90C when warm!
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

My Xantia 1.9 TD keeps exactly the same temps as yours and fans have only ever come on when the system needed bleeding.
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

My Xant is exactly the same and the fan has only ever come on going over Hardknott pass in the Lake District as it is particulary steep to put it mildly!! Wrynose made the Temp shoot up also but no fan.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Hardknott pass,is that the 1 with the pub at the top,or Wrynose which is more single track?Been up both when i had my new Rover 200 TD in `99.Flew up & down,lovely roads[}:)].Till i got stuck in the mud when we parked at the top[:I][:o)][:D]!Lovely views though.
Anyway,my Xantia runs at about 70-80 in normal driving.About 80-90 on the motorway depending on gradients/speed.Sitting in traffic,no more than about 90.When towing our caravan,anywhere between 80-105.Over about 95 ish or towing the fans are on all the time.
Sounds ok to me.[:)]
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Cool, I was not sure if the thermostat was giving an accurate reading.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I too managed to convince myself the fans weren't kicking in, sat listening for about 30 minutes before they kicked in
pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

70-75C seems a little low. Probably worth replacing the thermostat, I'd have said that it ought to sit at around an indicated 80C. Does it take a long time to warm up in the mornings as well, that would be another indicator of a thermostat was wasn't working properly.
Cheers
Pete
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Downhill: 70ºC.
Normal driving on the flat...about 75ºC, even in Australia.
Over 85mph: 80ºC.
Hottest ever: 90ºC in traffic jams.
The fans can come on for several minutes after the car is parked, because of rising heat.