Replacing ABS sensor - aaaarrgghh!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you should have left the 4 pound lump hammer in your tool box, i think the only fix is s/h front hub regards malcolm
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

You'd almost have to wonder if there's 2 different types of sensors and one is longer than the other, if the spacer is in fact a bodge job on the wrong sensor?
It's unlikely they'd have to pack the correct sensor unless this is used as clearance adjustment.
From memory, a BX has only about 1mm clearance between the sensor and the serrated wheel. Perhaps someone with the right knowledge can confirm this; Malcolm??
Alan S
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The important bit here is the distance between the toothed disc and the sensor end which should be very small (BX 0.30 to 1mm) If you can get the thing fastened securely with this order of gap then I would expect it to work.
I know you have a Xantia but would have thought that the fitting was the same.
Incidentally having fitted it make sure you evry carefully rotate the wheel/shaft a few times to make sure there is no contact.
Jeremy
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

FWIW,
THis is one off a BX16V.
I've posted it just as a comparison in case that's what you have.
I have seen a Xantia but hot out of the car so can't remember exactly what it looks like but from memory a lot different to this.
Another point to save double work; be sure that the serrated wheel is nice and clean before reassembly. Clean from both rust and grease or grime.
Alan S
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

The sensor in the pic that alans has posted is very similar to the one fitted to the later Xantia, I think 94 on. The sleeve that the third finger on the left hand is touching in the pic is about 4mm longer than the sleeve fitted on the earlier sensor ( pre 94 ). If you try to fit this earlier sensor to the later car the sensor head will touch the toothed disc ( you will not be able to fully tighten it ). What I did in similar circumstances was to measure the later sensors length with a mike and the fit washers to the earlier shorter sensor to make up the difference ( I think in my case 4*1mm washers ). This was a temporary solution that I did 18 months ago and I have not had any problems with it so I may just leave as is.
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

I think my previus post should read second finger on left hand, anyway the one next to the index finger.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

My leads are the same, jap manufacturers use some type of grease in these vulnerable connectors, silicone at a guess. At least you can get at the connectors, the ones on the CX are completely buried, but only as far as access goes [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]
Pete
________
YAMAHA GTS1000 HISTORY
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You could always tape the connector carefully to keep the moisture out and tie it out of the way being careful it doesn't fret or get stretched when the suspension or steerring moves.
Jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sorry im bit late posting to this topic the washer you have is a spacer shim,you must replace it regards malcolm
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

dont know about citroen but bmw list all the shims for the ABS sensors seperately and are only a few pence each, the service dept should have the info on how far away the sensor should be from the ring gear. Maybe even list it in haynes.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think i am posibly wrong(perish the thought)these sensors lay along side the track they pick up from,so there is no need to shim it up apolegies for any missleading info regards malcolm