HDi 90 Clutch slippage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossd
My Cars:

HDi 90 Clutch slippage

Post by rossd »

Has anybody (especially those of you with chipped/tuning boxes engines) ever had any problems with the clutch on your HDi? My clutch has started slipping [V] and I am wondering if a standard OEM replacement is also going to fail because of the increase in power output. (It only slips in 5th when using the torque) Car is on 73k and I have never mistreated the clutch. The older XUDT's with their pull type clutches were much superior in my opinion, they could handle all the torque you could throw at it. To me, the clutch on the HDi is a step backwards.
So, any problems with the HDi 90 engines clutch?
Also, any views on converting it to a pull type? Obviously the flywheel is different on the HDi, but just maybe its possible.
Obviously a new cable and the bracket on the gearbox would be needed.
(X-posted on car mechanics forum...)
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Cant says I have had any problems yet with mine (little black box added). However the clutch on the 110 is a different item to the 90 BHP car.
There was also a problem with early HDi clutch bearing failiure.
Vanny I think would be your best bet with regards changing the clutch type, Im not sure if it would be possible myself.
For now if I were you I would back off the boost / tune a little if possible.
<i>EDIT - sorry just seen its a remap, not a variable plug in box.</i>
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Yep, thats the problem. I going to have to stick something under the loud pedal methinks!!
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

ok the bad news is this is why the ML5t box is user on all the high end Xantias. Hydrolic and a targe clutch.
You only really have 2 options in my opinion, Fit an Ml5t a new fly new clutch and the hydrolic actuator (and say bye bye to the clutch clip problem or find some one who makes an uprated clutch and fit it.
The ML5t is fitted to the V6, CT, 110hdi and 110 2.1 the latter 2 boxes are the same but the others use diferent internal gearing and difernt final drives.
Andy
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

My car uses the BE3 box. Cable driven clutch too (Its a 306... I know its the wrong forum, sorry. Xsara is the same though!)
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

you should still beable to get away with using the ML5t should you want to you will need the rear engine mount off a xantia 110 hdi though :) (the 406 uses the ML5t with hydro clutch too.)
Andy
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

My clutch slipped as described , went away after a couple of weeks , belive maybe some oil got onto plate , still ok 10,000 miles later .
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

What Ive had with mine (recently fitted a PSI tuning box), is a sort of hesitancy in 3rd, accelerating away, it would sort of linger for a moment at certain revs and then carry on with the accelerating. Didnt seem to do it once it was properly warmed up though. !??![:o)]
It pulls so much better with it fitted, the pull in second gear is great-much more of a shove. It was already set on maximum setting when I got it. It does smoke more under hard accel' now though.
[:)][:D][:)][:D]
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Interesting point about the ML5 transmission, although I'm just going to put another OE clutch in and see how it goes. If that slips, I will have to think about a major clutch mod. I wonder if I could fit the 110 clutch with a BE3 gearbox, the ML5 uses cable gearchange whereas mine uses rods. There must be some reason why PSA used the BE3 in the 306 HDi and the ML5 in all other HDi engined cars!
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

on the other hdi 90 bhp engines they only used the Be3 too its down to what was needed to do the job.
I belive that the fly wheels on the ml5 boxes are too big to fit in a Be3's bell housing. you could always go down the rought of fitting a Mi16 fly and clutch if you dont want to go up to a ML5t.
Andy
zorgman
My Cars:

Post by zorgman »

my clutch did exactly the same after the mod no probs pulling away even with a trailer on but now in 3rd upwards if i hit the pedal the revs fly up and slowly the car catches up so new clutch time methiks
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Just cruising in 5th now makes the clucth slip, its very odd as you can accelerate hard in 3rd and 4th and no slip. Got to make the damn thing last though, have my degree finals next week and week after and so just dont have the time to change the clutch until they have finished. ARGH!!! (I tell you, Friday 13th is unlucky, thats when it started!!!)
The MI16 flywheel is smaller than the existing one I have, which would introduce problems such as making the starter motor fit etc etc.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Just won an auction on ebay for a brand new genuine Peugeot clutch kit for 306 HDi, for a grand total of......
£20!!!
Its actually being sold by a Peugeot dealer too! RRP from my local dealer was in the region of £200 so thats quite a saving.
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

well done mate, I've been keeping an eye out for a v6 manual clutch as there so expensive! No one dose a cheeper one either. come on GSF its about time you suported us people out here with V6's a bit better!
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Mine seems to be slipping now as well. 4th and 5th gear - only when you use full acceleration. Is it wise to turn my black box down to the lower setting? [:(] Not really what I want to do but.....needs must I suppose.
Before fitting the box I never had any slippage at all.
How hard is it to fit a new clutch?
Cheers
Paul