Turbonator

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Turbonator

Post by Kowalski »

In the same vein as Ecotek Valves, Surbos and Magnetic fuel conditioners....
http://www.turbonator.com/WhatIsIt.html
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The Turbonator is a non-moving vortex generator<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Thats the best pseudo-scintific description of a garden fence that I've heard in a while!!!
So in other words, you buy a bit of plastic or metal from them and put it in your intake trunking?? and its better than a turbocharger??? Someone tell Vanny to stop sodding about with that AX and get one of these........ Where's my credit card..........
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Actually it amy do something. I seem to racall that in fact something similar has been around since the 50's and that Rover may have fitted them to somne of the V8's.
Now if it works is another matter as the output of the Rover V8 is generally rather pathetic relative to its size and thirst but then it might have been even worse without this device.
Jeremy
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Another thought just came to mind- maybe its a working scale model of Harbhajan Singh that chucks a few spinners down your intake.......[B)]
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Pseudo science it is.
Your engine would have to be pretty badly designed for this sort of thing to make a positive difference.
http://www.surbo.net/introduction.html
My understanding of their description is that the Surbo is a purpetual motion device.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

Now if it works is another matter as the output of the Rover V8 is generally rather pathetic relative to its size and thirst but then it might have been even worse without this device.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What Rover fitted to the intakes of the V8 was model specific, and was actually designed to reduce the output of the engine. It was on the "stage 1 V8" landrover of 1982ish. The standard V8 at that point was 135ish HP, which was deemed too much for the S3 Axles, so rather than use smaller carbs, or some other mechanism for reducing output, they put a baffle plate in the intakes. That reduced the output to 90HP. Removing it is the fastest known mod to any Landrover ever to gain more power output, and just about every Stage 1 has had it removed. The engine goes straight back to being 135HP, and gains the odd MPG back again.
It might have been possible that 50 years ago, this sort of thing might have made a small difference to an engine that breathes badly, but with the computer-designed intakes of the last 20-25 years, there's no way that this can do anything but slightly reduce the volumetric efficiency of the engine. What a load of rubbish.
That said, this is an american advert, and if used on one of their older engines, it might be that it does affect the fuel-air mixing properties. The difference, even on a really rubbish engine can't be anywere near the claims though.
Personally I think this sort of rubbish is great. It gives boy-roys something to argue about, and someone somewhere is laughing about the amount of money (s)he is making due to others' stupidity.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

okay, i thought (god help us) that petrols needed STILL air? something to do with mixture blah blah and that diesels (proper engines) just needed lots of air, and in all reality 'swirly' air will make absolutley NO difference!
Hence, its a load of rubbish!
But for the ten minutes it would take to make AND fit, i guess i'd give it a go!
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Have you seen the price of it Vanny?
Get 50% Off additional Turbonators
Buy one for $69.95 and get 50% off each additional unit
on the same order. Free Shipping on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th units.
Shipping is another $10 in the US
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

i can offer them for £20 +p&p if any one is stupid enough!
oh, the money to be earnt!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Curiously the one I saw was on a V8 engine with SU carbs allegedly out of a SD1 and fitted to a RangeRover. I see in the Haynes for the Range Rover they show it sitting between the carb and the maniflold on SU models.
I think its supposed to cause or enhance turbulence and I suppose is similar in function to the Mangoletsi (or something like that) which was I think a piece of gauze in a mount.
Jeremy
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

There is a fine line between turbulence and inlet restriction....
I've heard it said that when people get cylinder heads ported, the ports should not be polished because the roughness causes just enough turbulence to improve power over a polished port. A little bit of turbulence is a good thing, the amount that this thing causes is far too much.
Closing your throttle valve probably causes plenty of turbulence, but to my knowledge it doesn't increase power.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

When porting a head your right you have to leave a "grain" on the ports. The idea is sound in that if you consider adding something to something (say liquids) else stirring it does make things mix better, (think glass of water and cordial) it is beneficial to combustion for the air and fuel to be well mixed prior to ignition and this is ware the principle comes from. I believe thought that this "turbulence" should be small so that some of the fuel is left to act as a wetting agent to aid combustion cooling. I have to say I’ve spent a lot of time looking at this and I’m tempted to experiment with a design I’ve come up with but I expect to find it doesn’t help at all if it doesn’t indeed restrict the airways (I’ve now got a neighbour with a rolling road so I can now experiment with tuning for free :D).
Andy
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Those Citroen V6s are relatively low power output for their size, I wonder what ultimate power you could get out of one with a bit of tuning, Andy set forth and find out! Is 100bhp/litre too ambitious a target for you?
Looney
My Cars:

Post by Looney »

[:D] Ah this always seems to crop up in motor forums! Yuo its a load of rubbish, the eletric motor does not have enough power to spin up to the required rpm to pull air in and compress it through the carb and into the engine, and your air intake and fittings wouldn't be strong enough to with stand the pressure of that sort of power and thus it would rip it all apart on the first use!!
As for causing a swirl effect, a couple of fins built inside the air intake ducting on any car would do a better job, and thus if this was to help produce more power or better fuel economy, then race spec cars and manufacturers would be using them already. Engines are designed to mix the air and petrol in the cumbustion chambers even though they start to mix in the inlet manifold.
Oh, you'd be interested to know, on a carb engine the eco-tek does work, but if your clever enough you can do the mod your-self by re-routing pipes to gain the same effect, but you wouldn't get the rasp noise. it allows more air to enter the inlet manifold, thus allowing you to make you mixture richer and thus letting more into the cylnders! And then yes it does give you a power gain and more economical if you don't richen your mixture, but then you'll be running lean![:D][:p]
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Kowalski, i have to agree that the V6 is not putting out what it should, my plan is to improve parts and not purposely tune the engine (if this makes any sense). I’d like to keep the V6 for a long time and there for I need an engine that will take years of running. I do however believe that there are a few parts on the engine that are purposely designed to limit the engine like the exhaust manifold (if you can call it that). I’d like to hit around the 250bhp mark using parts off the new and old 60 degree engine it should be possible too what with variable inlet manifold (Xantia and 406 engine) VVT (C5 and newer cars) and a good exhaust (no cars).
I’m sure that with TB's, flowing, supercharger or turbos it would be possible to produce a short lived monster and I do have a second engine so i may still one day do something like twin turbos (the current exhaust manifold could actually be used for this its so restrictive) but for now with a new and semi clean licence 200 bhp and the lousy fuel economy that goes with it is enough for me :)
Andy