Starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jez

Starting problems

Post by Jez »

Got into my Xantia TD yeterday and unusually car didn't start first time. Needed to turn it over 7/8 times before it kicked in. Noticed smoke bellowing out of the exhaust throughout the ticking over and eventual starting. Got in car after work and started first time. Still smoke coming out of exhaust.
Nervously got into car this morning and it started 3rd time again with a rather unhealthy smoke emission from exhaust.
Can anyone out there help at all?
Cheers
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Glow plugs? When I neglect to preheat my car it smokes alot when started, but this clears after a few seconds.
Jez

Post by Jez »

Not being the best when it comes to cars can they be cleaned or do they need replacing?
Don't even know where they are!!
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

If the smoke you are talking about is whiteish, and clears in a cloud when the car starts I would definately say glow plugs. The tend to give up up around 100K+ miles if orignals, the only real solution is to replace. Not bad though, only £6.50ea +vat from GSF.
Fitting wise, get yourself a haynes BOL, it'll point the way and its not difficult. You just need a bit of patience, a 12mm(? I think) off-set or crank spanner (a 12mm socket and flat spanner is helpfull as well) and a touch of copper slip.
Took me about 1.5 hours the first time I did it, and that was on a ZX.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If it has happened suddenly, it could be the glow plug relay. Does the glow plug light come on and stay on for the usual ammount of time?
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Me and Wilkobob changed the glow plugs on my zx.....we believe they were the originals after about 130,000 so certainly did well....there cheap as chips as mentioned previously and it solved the problem for me as you describe (it just happened for no real reason..and then once again a few days later)
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Once you have the glow plugs out get a good battery, some jump leads or strong gauge cable and grip the body with the negative and touch the negative to the end which takes the cable. If the end does not glow red within 6-8 seconds (do this in poor light) replace them. I think they are around £6 each. I would do the same test on the new ones as I have found faulty ones in the past. As you seem to have quite a problem I would take out only one and earth it to the engine casing to ensure you have a suitable feed in the first place.
I hope this helps.
brianr.uk

Post by brianr.uk »

if you do change glow plugs make sure you buy BERU.gsf will supply these.dont be tempted to buy cheaper from your local carparts shop as i did.after three or four months of bad starting with the new plugs eventually took them out and found three duff out of four,money back job.no problem starting since fitting beru.
1993 xantia 1.9td sx.