SAMKO anyone?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Personally if I was worried about the rust then I'd take the discs off and clean them off with some emery cloth and re-fit. They will probably polish up with use anyway and for MOT purposes you only need 50%G anyway (they should produce about 98% if they work properly!)
jeremy
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

You're wasting your money. Take it around the block a coupkle of times applying the brakes gently at first, then more heavily. (Ignore the horrible noises)
If the disks are still rusty after a couple of miles, change them then. I'd be surprised if they won't be fine after that.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you will be surprised how quick they clean them selfs up by driving for a few mins regards malcolm
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Im after a set of drilled, grooved disks & pads all round for the ZX but am a tight git and don't want to spend much! lol
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I'm not a fan of drilled discs, I've seen too many with cracks around the drill holes.
If you've got a car where the brakes aren't big enough, cross drilling is a bit of a bodge to get more performance out of them but really, I'd prefer bigger discs to cross drilled ones.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Yep, drilling is a bodge, it causes cracking. The proper way to do it is actually cast the discs with the holes in. This is the way the OE discs are done on high powered production cars such as the big Mercs, astons, ferrari etc etc