Heat exhanger removal, any ill effects?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnCKL
My Cars:

Heat exhanger removal, any ill effects?

Post by JohnCKL »

My mech suggesting removing the heat exhanger (HE) where oil filter is attached to. This is because my XTD engine is stressed when going uphill, oil temp up to 130C and coolant temp to 102C. He thought removing the HE will stop the coolant heating up the oil and vice versa. My argument is the coolant should cool down the oil if its heated too high instead of the other way around. Perhaps the HE is for colder climates whereas in tropical weather it's not needed? I thought of installing a small radiator as an oil cooler just behind the main coolant radiator. That should cool the oil down a bit but is removing the HE necessary?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I think someone has got this all rather wrong. The Oil/coolant heat exchanger is absolutely essential on a TD engine. During engine warm up it uses coolant heat to get the oil up to temperature faster than it would get there on it's own. Once up to temperature, the Exchanger keeps the oil temperature between 10 and 20 degrees hotter than the coolant, and hopefully no hotter (as it begins to break down at high temperatures.
If you remove the oil cooler, the coolant will probably run at exactly the same temperature (as this is determined by the thermostat) and the oil will be even hotter, probably far too hot. The only engines to come without the oil cooler are the early low-power 1.9D engines, and even these can get their oil a bit on the hot side.
I think you have some other problem: A blocked radiator maybe? the beginnings of head gasket failure? siezed thermostat? Maybe even just an airlock in the coolant. The Heat exchanger is there for good reason. Leave it there!
David.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The engine oil is used to cool the turbo, and the waste heat from the turbo has to go somewhere, if you remove the heat exchanger, where do you expect this heat to go? The oil will get too hot, degrade and you'll be looking for a new turbo.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I agree with Fastandfurious, 102C is far to hot for the coolant, If you have done over 100k miles or topped up frequently with hard water, I suspect your radiator needs changing.