Smokin' BX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Smokin' BX

Post by Dave Bamber »

The beastie has a little problem. Under moderate to hard acceleration it produces a fair amount of black smoke. Air and fuel filters are 2000 miles old. I feel the previous owner has had a tinker and increased the fuelling to find a bit more performance as the anti-tamper seals are missing.
Question is, which way does one screw the adjuster to decrease the fuelling? In to decrease or t’other way around?
It’s a Bosch pump on a 19N/A.
A shot of said adjuster......
Jon

Post by Jon »

Indeed Sire, your BX does indeed smoke, black. I have followed it. It did seem to go well for an N/A though. I suggest a dose of injector cleaner. It does seem like the pump has been tampered with as the yellow paint and seal seem to be missing!
I will await Mr Burns arrival as to putting it right again.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think it goes the opposite way to what you would expect. If I remember correctly it screws in to increase the fuel and out to decrease and its quite critical, a small adjustment makes a lot of difference. You will soon be able to tell when you drive it. If it is a turbo I would have thought that an increase sufficient to produce black smoke would have broken something!
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

As far as I was aware smoking is a bit like a chain reaction in a diesel in so far as once it starts it runs away with itself. So you may only need to knock it back a bit.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Anymore ideas?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

dose it smoke all the time
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Dave - have a look at this link - it seems to explain in detail all the adjustments on the Bosch VE pump - as does the link to the land rover site wich is enormous.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm
Jeremy
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Citronut.
No, not all the time, only under moderate/hard throttle.
Jeremy.
Thanks for the links, wow that’s a lot of info! My pump is slightly different as it's an N/A so it hasn't got the diaphragm on the top. On Jon’s’ suggestion I’m going to try some injector cleaner and run that through, if no better I’ll have a fiddle with the adjuster in the picture.
Thanks guys.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Mines n/a as well- the pump is identical to yours.It goes <b>anti-clockwise</b> to reduce fuelling-as PeterN says it is a very precise and immediate adjustment as well,much more so than a carb mixture screw:
only a fifth of a turn and you should hear a very definate change in engine note. Before I did my injectors I turned it anti-clockwise to reduce the smoke a bit which made it very slow.
Somebody probably has fiddled with it, as they are a dog slow car, though why anyone who wants to go fast would buy an n/a BX diesel is a mystery!!