Help!! 405 Alarm/central locking/immobiliser

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

flux
My Cars:

Help!! 405 Alarm/central locking/immobiliser

Post by flux »

Due to clutch problems on my other pug, i made the mistake of buying a 1995 405GTX (airbag)that has problems with the alarm, central locking and immobiliser, the car was dirt cheap and i thought the problems would be easy to fix until i read that some of you guys are also having fun with the above.
I'll try and give as many details as possible and i think i've read all the past posts on this issue:
The immobiliser appears to be on as it's showing a red light but the car starts ok
when i bought the car one of the connectors under the drivers seat was unplugged but i was told my headlights were randomly flashing as i drove along (plus the alarm dash light was flashing) so i disconnected the other plug under the drivers seat.
The key switch under the bonnet (that i have no key for)appears to be in the off position, i tried the door key in this, it didn't fit but it set off a very muted alarm (perhaps the alarm horn has something stuffed in it to quieten it?)
I only have one door/ignition key with a single blip, it doesn't do anything except make the blip light flash, so i have no cental locking either.
I don't mind if the alarm never works again, i can always buy an aftermarket one
but i'd really like to completely remove/disable the immobiliser and get the central locking working, hope someone can help.
hmmm, radiocassette is also dead
flux
My Cars:

Post by flux »

the central locking decided to work for a while today, the first time it has since i bought the car last week, it had recently rained (could there be a clue there?)
guess i'll be trying WD40 on it the weekend
would still like to overcome the immobiliser problem
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
The alarm brain is under the driver seat, Look under that black plastic cover held by 2 x 10mm nuts.
The standard Peugeot factory fit alarm is utter rubbish, But its a hell of a lot better then the previous 405 security system!
The siren is up inside the passenger side wing behind the plastic shield.
Unplug the grey & brown connector plugs & the alarm is now dead.
The brown relay under that cover is the one that supplies the headlamp flash for the alarm, The small red plug is the alarm diagnostic plug.
DONT touch the orange connector plug under the seat, thats for the front seatbelt pretensioners & should be left well alone!
The remote central locking receiver unit is in the roof consul, Its under the roof aerial, Rain leaks past the aerial seal & the remote central locking goes mad!
Unclip the map reading light with a small flat blade screwdriver, Now with the key REMOVED from the ignition undo those 2 screws you can now see, Unclip the sunvisors & tilt the back edge of the roof consul down & towards the back of the car.
The remote receiver is the black box with the yellow code sticker on that is clipped above the red dome part.
Look for any water marks on the PCB, Seal the aerial with some sealant if needed.
To stick the consul back, First align the clips at the front & then lift up the back edge & screw it up to the roof.
For the radio, Have you checked the fuses?
Before playing with the immobiliser, Do you know the 4 digit code for the keypad?
If you dont & it arms itself, You are in big trouble!
Which keypad have you got? I think you should have fitted an early keypad with a "D/N" button, The later ones have a "S" button & are Thatcham Cat 2 & a right sod to beat (But not impossible)
Come back & ill help you some more.
flux
My Cars:

Post by flux »

Thanks for the help PowerLee, i'll be checking these tips out over the next couple of days,
the orange connector (if it's the one on a credit card sized board attached to the bottom of the seat) is still connected, the 2 connections to the black box under the seat are unplugged, do i leave the relay attached?.
Haven't checked the fuses for the radio yet, don't know the code for it anyway and have already ordered an mp3 cd player as a replacement.
The keypad has a "D/N" button, scared to press anything on the immobiliser so no problems there, hope to get in contact with the original owner for a code number once my log book comes through.
It's too dark to do any more tonight but at least with the red immobiliser light flashing, it looks like my car is still alarmed :)
will get back to you soon
cheers
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
If the large grey & large brown plug to the alarm control box are unplugged then its safe to leave that brown relay plugged in, Its now dead, That relay is switched on by the alarm box to flash your headlights when the alarm goes off.
Also there is a small 2 pin brown & a small 2 pin yellow plug floating around under the seat, These will both be disconnected to, Browns heated seats & yellows electric seats.
The "D/N" button keypads can be turned on & off by the following.
Switch on ignition.
Enter your code.
Press and hold D/N button for two seconds.
Switch off ignition.
The green lamp will illuminate, and ten beeps will be heard
BUT you need the 4 digit code to do it.
There are companies out there who can read the code for around £20 - 25, A Peugeot dealer WILL sting you for a couple of hundred quid to remove the immobiliser.
Heres a couple of links to keypad unlockinh people if you end up needing them.
http://www.unimark.freeserve.co.uk/index.htm
http://www.codeman.org/keypadsD.htm
flux
My Cars:

Post by flux »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Unclip the sunvisors & tilt the back edge of the roof consul down & towards the back of the car<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
is the 'back edge' the edge nearest the sunroof? it's very tight
the central locking has been working all day today (sunny), i even put the batteries back in the key blip and that also works the c/locking
was sent the wrong mp3cd player[:(!] got to send it back
thanks for the immobiliser links, maybe try if i get no joy from the original owner via log book or is it safe enough to leave as is, so long as no one messes with it?
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
You have a sunroof too, Ive never removed a sunroof equipped consul myself, But it should be the same as the normal ones, Check for any extra screws. The back edge is the one nearest the sunroof. Just unclip the wiring connectors if they get in the way.
Keep the sunroof cables nicely greased, They have a habit of seizing up through lack of use & lubricant.
The keypad immobiliser SHOULD be ok for now, But if it ever arms & you dont have the code you wont be driving the car anywhere for a while.
flux
My Cars:

Post by flux »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Keep the sunroof cables nicely greased, They have a habit of seizing up through lack of use & lubricant<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
hehe, no problems there, i worked for Webasto the sunroof manufacturer for 15 years, a silicon spray is better, grease tends to attract dirt.
btw, i'm on the lookout for replacement cables for my phase one, anybody?
there are 2 more screws , one under the sunroof switch and one under the black swivel light thingie, no wonder it wouldn't come off.
thanks again for your help PowerLee, you seem to know your stuff [:)]
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Im pretty sure the sunroof cables are the same for series one & two 405s upto June 1995 manufacture chassis number ending in 70860964, Then the 405 was fitted with the 306s much better sunroof setup.
Peugeot part number 8406 13 called "Batch Of Trucks" looks like what your after on the parts cd rom.