Xsara on vts alloys?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

the offset of the wheels should be the same (or with in the acceptable band for fitment - 15 - 22) the j rating is the width of the wheel so a 5 1/2j is 5 1/2" wide and the 8j is 8" wide and so on, the wheels should bolt straight on without any problems!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Did run a set on my first Xsara VTR which had 14" wheels as standard. They fited OK and I had no problems, apart from I couldn't pay for then so had to give them back.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Normally yes if the car was not fitted with them as standard. Even if they were an option you have too. My friend had a mk2 golf gti before which had alloys as an option but because they were not standard his insurance went up by £50
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

it is worth informing the ins. company as if the worse comes to the worse they wont payout if they havent been declared!
you may notice a little bit ofa difference handling wise, should be a little sharper turning in dueto less side wall flex!!!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Yep tell the insurance. You may be surprised as my had no premium increase.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Thread hijack! [}:)] Stuart McB - I noticed your signature, so what have you swopped the VTR for? Did you not fancy one of those new C4's?
Superloopy, what price are ye paying? With tyres?
Cheers
Paul
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

For brand new I would say that is a very good price, but then again, your gonna have to shell out 50 notes per tyre, so theres another 200 squids. They do make a big difference to the look of the car though. I'd rather go for original manufacturer ones than 19" bling blings! If you were after bling you could shove these on top
Image (they spin around independant of the wheel!)LOL. How sad are these things. You can actually get **SPINNING WHEEL TRIMS** now
[V]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You can't see them when you're driving it can you! So unless they were going to improve the roadholding or something by being a different size from standard or even lighter I'd put my money towards something more useful!
Seriously make sure you get the correct bolts or that they can be obtained at a sensible price.
Jeremy
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

I subscrive Jeremy's opinion.
Also, take in consideration there will be a degradation in comfort.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Also that your speed may under/over read depending on what tyres you fit
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

superloopy, if you are going from 185/60/14(standard size for most 14" rims) to 195/50/15 your speedo will overread by 0.3% so at 60 the car will be doing 59.8! that is if your speedo is accurate in the first place!! highly doubtfull! to be honest you most likely wont notice any difference in comfort from the size swap as the rolling radious isnt really affected and the tyre still has plenty of 'bounce' absorbtion in it!
the figure of 15 - 22 is the offset of the wheel, each wheel should have stamped inside either on the backing plate or back of a spoke a number beginning with ET, that will tell you what the offset is and for the xsara (and most 4 stud cit's and pug's) it is anything between 15-22 will go on with out any modification required!
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

I would say that strongly depends on budget! vikiing are very good for wear and grip, (used to have a liketime gaurantee) avon zv1's are good to (had them on my 309gti!!) dunlop and michelins are also very good but often a bit more costly! vredestiens are very long lasting but not so good for grip if you drive hard! toyo are good for grip but done last long and arnt particularly cheap!
i have no idea of the budget ones as i am semi like the guy in the old michelin advert when he sais 'show me the logo' when it coems to tyres, but i have heard cooper are very good!
my whole philosophy on tyres is that if the tyre was made be dunlop and was that good why does it not have dunlop on the side walls???
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Because all of the 'known brand' manufacturers such as dunlop continue to manufacture their old model tyres sometimes at smaller plants and because they don't want them to compete with the new model tyres they sell em cheap with a different name on the sidewall