BX tizzydee

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Oscar Too
My Cars:

BX tizzydee

Post by Oscar Too »

Well, following Tom Sheppard's excellent advise to new owners of old BXs, so far I have:
replaced oil and filters,
unblocked radiator with weak solution of hydrochloric acid,
flushed cooling system,
replaced bottom hose,
replaced coolant,
replaced radiator thermal switch,
replaced timing belt,
hydraflushed,
replaced stop solenoid,
replaced brake pads,
replaced weak HP pump,
replaced broken heater controls,
tarted up some old wheel trims in silver paint [:D] at my wife's insistence,
made one good parcel shelf out of two knackered ones,
polished it until it is gleaming!
learnt that a vacuum cleaner can actually be operated inside a car!!
Cost in hours: probably 72.
Cost in GBP: about 300
The car is still not as good as the ZX that I got rid of in terms of ease of handling, economy and reliability. However I know a lot more about my car, and how it works, I've taken myself well outside my comfort zone and learned a huge amount, and I feel a whole lot happier driving a car now that I know the basics. I've also met some helpful pleasant people on this site and in the real world.
Next jobs: steering balljoint, thensteering pinion, then spheres, then rear swingarm bearings. And the front bumper sometime - if anyone has a spare intact red front BX bumper handy I'd be delighted to make an offer.
Conclusion: The right thing to do, just the wrong time to do it in terms of finance. However I comfort myself with the thought that I can now carry out much of the ongoing work myself. For instance J10 for a timing belt + J40 for the workshop use Vs. J120 for my local garage to replace the timing belt, and me none the wiser at the end of it.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=13142
I'd like to nominate Tom for the order of the Green Sphere for services to the BX community for his thoughtful rundown of initial work, and also like to say "Thanks" to all those who encouraged me to buy it back in January
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

What an exhausting list!!
Now all you need is a temp. gauge to prevent the BX cooling system paranoia!!