diesel AX's are boring?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

vanny
My Cars:

diesel AX's are boring?

Post by vanny »

Once you stop laughing, does anyone have any ideas or opinions on the possibility of putting a turbo on a 1.5 tud engine?
I figure the AX 1.5d is pretty powerful for a n/a but if it got a kick of cold air then maybe i could turn it into a stupid toy car!!
I'll also come clean and tell you im considering putting one in my mates mini!
stop laughin now!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

For the love of Bob Vanny, do you never stop fettling?
The engine bay is tighter than a gnats chuff - where would you put the turbot?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Having seen the innards of the engine bay of my mothers old 106 1.4D, (similar engine) I would say it's probably possible, but you would need to remove the mahooooosive air-cleaner housing / inlet manifold mounted on the back of the head. It would be an awful lot of work, and would probably need a custom inlet manifold at the very least (are you any good at aluminium welding?)
I have a feeling you may well end up melting pistons too, as a non-turbo engine doesn't have the (rather necessary) oil sprayers onto the backs of the pistons.
But if you manage it.. it'll be a larf! [:D]
BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

Why don't you try to find a 1.4 HDi engine (DV4) and install it into the AX ? Espacially the 90bhp 16V engine (DV4ATED4) would make a rocket out of the tiny little car ! The engine is as small as the TUD5...
Installing a turbo on a non-turbo engine will not be easy. The turbo needs lubrication (usually connected to the lubrication circuit of the engine) and the engine must have - as fastandfurryous mentioned - oil sprayers and some other modifications to be capable of the extra power.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

"Why don't you try to find a 1.4 HDi engine (DV4) and install it into the AX ? Espacially the 90bhp 16V engine (DV4ATED4) would make a rocket out of the tiny little car"
or just buy a standard gt or gti for under £500 off ebay? :)
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Vanny, i could put you in touch with a friend who once fiddled a bit with his 1.4D 106...dunno if he actually made something out of it, but had it pretty much figured out...
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

marty, i'm young and stupid and have no real responsibilities!
Fastand furry, my welding is restricted to 2mm plate (with mig or arc!) however my uncle has 30 odd years of welding and can weld snot to lace curtains! Anyhow, i guess it could be a little complicated and require a lot of machining. Oil galleries and squirters shouldn't be too hard but i pressume i could get uprated pistons or perhaps ceramic coated pistons?
Basis, given the cost of the HDi i'd rather not, but i've been down the powerfull engine change route and adding a turbo is less expensive on the insurance than the addition of a HDi! I'm also not in the least bit convinced that a computer controlled engine is correct and would rahter trust something i can see (this from an almost electronic engineer)!
Visa, the only problem with a gt or gti is while there fun, they run on the bad stuff. Since i run on diesel so should my car!
The initial idea started as a pipe dream, but now its growing into putting a diesel into a mini and getting some serious power out of it! I'm slowly infecting the world with my diesel fingers!
gardenpeas
My Cars:

Post by gardenpeas »

if you need a challenge make the mini into a boat that can fly that would be cool but what do i know i drive an ax spree in that horrid light green :( the ladies hate it but a car boat that flys you would be like one of those pre first world war gents that die young but get all the women and mugs of tea they want
good luck
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Your problems will go on and on - Look at the differences between a 1.9 BX engine and the 1.7 Td - different pistons with iron re-inforced top grooves, stronger rods, bigger oil pump to name a few. Don't do it properly and the thing will fly apart, and somehow I think if you are a pioneer then you'll pay one way or another unless the thing is only intended to do a very small mileage.
Now having dismissed electronics they may actually help you. I think one of the problems with the diesel engine is the knock - ie sudden explosion with shockwave that will impose a very heavy loading on pistons etc. New engines don't really knock and I think have a number of injection pulses (3?) which presumably has the effect of reducing the stresses. Having said that the injectors are hideously expensive etc.
I don't have a clue as to what fits what and how the new engines differ from the TUD engine but I'd think that that was a good starting point.
jeremy
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Oh yeah... that's a point.. How are you going to make the injection pump "know" what the boost pressure is, and up the fuelling accordingly? I guess the only thing you could do is use a 1769TD injection pump turned down a bit to account for the 242cc reduction in engine size.
Will it be intercooled too? Would be a shame not to, and would also help prevent melting a piston crown.
Welding an aluminium intake manifold will be interesting to say the least. It will need to be a weldable grade of aluminium (not all of them are) and would probably need to be welded by AC Tig.
Might it just be easier to fit an XUD9T in it? That would go remarkably well!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

You don't have to make the inlet manifold from aluminium you could probably get away with steel or stainless.... A six foot length of suitable stainless pipe costs less than £20 up north.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

GMC motorsport 'up norf' made a 1.5 n/a into a td, it was a one off though I think. They were quoting silly power figures too. Try a google search for them.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Allards also managed 350bhp from a 1.5d with allsorts on it, think it had just about everything (turbo, charge coller, intercooler) and that was back in the 70's! Though im starting to wonder if a mini is even worth bothering to modify, there pretty good as stock!
My GF has decided she wants a mini thats pink and purple, with white leather interior! The word WRONG spings to mind!