Disposing of used LHM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Disposing of used LHM

Post by CitroJim »

How best to dispose of used LHM and Hydraflush?
Is it OK to dump it in the used engine oil tank at our local tip?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Thats where I take mine - after all its mineral oil.
Dont chuck it in your diesel tank if its very dirty as it will clog your filter. Some people do use it to run their derv cars on though. Not to be advised.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Thats where I take mine - after all its mineral oil.
Dont chuck it in your diesel tank if its very dirty as it will clog your filter. Some people do use it to run their derv cars on though. Not to be advised.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
LOL! LHM is expensive enough without having to pay fuel duty on it [:D]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

The environment agency say it has to be professionally disposed of, they couldn't tell me if it should or shouldn't be put in the used oil vats at the local tip, but then they didn't have a clue what LHM was, was to go environment agency!
So i then spoke to Total Fuels UK and they said lash it in the oil recycling points at the tip! The guys who run the tip also have no problem with it!
just to put some scale on NOT doing it, 1 litre of waste oil is enough to pollute anything up to 100,000 litres of water over the space of one year! Thats a lot of damage for a two minute drive to the tip! (guess what i recently did a project on!)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Thats right, its only like thin engine oil.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Certainly not on anything relatively recent or sophisticated, but my parents 1960 Fordson tractor runs superbly on used LHM !
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Pour it down the drain you big sissy. I dare yeah!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think you will find that the diesel components of the 1960 Fordson diesel tractor bear a remarkable resemblance to that used by Citroen up to the introduction of the current electronic pumps! - and therefore the consequejnces of using LHM in either will be much the same.
jeremy
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

You're probably right, but with 17 non too careful previous owners, no emissions test to get through, and no need to pay road fuel tax on what we put in, we felt we could be a bit more "experimental" with the Fordson !
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I sell mine as "Hopkirk's Patent tarmac solvent".
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

"Hopkirk's Patent tarmac solvent".
"It does exactly what it says on the tin" [:D]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The area where I park and work on my car has rotten tarmac to a depth of about two inches, jacks and axle stands just sink into it[:X]
On a lighter note I have found LHM to be particularly inefectives hair conditioner or shampoo but it can lubricate eyeballs very effectively[:D]
Stewart
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

My local garage has a licenced waste oil heater unit, I give it to them, they fix punctures etc for me, reduces the cost of the stuff to sensible prices [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]
Pete
________
JUSTIN BIEBER
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Waste oil burners/heaters are fabulous things. They will burn just about anything. As I buy my engine oil by the 45gallon drum, I collect my waste oil in one too. The last one was 80% engine oil, 15% gear oil, 4% brake/hydraulic fluid and 1% unknown. (ish). It all burned beautifully! and was effrectively "free" heat. Lovely!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

you could always take some in a small bottle to a motor auction, select any hydro citroen and spill the contents under the bonnet, when the car comes onto the auction floor just point out the dripping LHM and hey presto! a new car for £25[:D]