BAR Honda suspension

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

FrenchLeave
My Cars:

BAR Honda suspension

Post by FrenchLeave »

Does anybody know what the justification is for the two race suspension of BAR Honda? It seems to be something to do with the fuel system and minimum weight.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

They tucked away in another fuel tank in a corner where no-one would find it. They did.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

No, No David. A swirl pot, to ensure that the pump inlet gets unaerated fuel so it doesn't drain back to the tank. Neat but they were grassed up by former employees. ten litres of fuel could thus be hidden. Blatant cheating. Hope JB exercises his option!
Funnily enough I passed their three transporters on the M25 this evening, heading for Dover, I guess. They weren't half shifting, too. (Maybe they were running a bit light;-))
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

When told to drain the fuel from the tanks,they did`nt drain the 10 odd litres of extra fuel.Then the FIA found this extra fuel,& once drained,the car was under weight.About 5 kg`s.Big deal!On the radio this evening,they are not going to appeal against the ban.
I wonder if this would be the same if it was for Ferrari or Schumacher??
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

The weight limit is 600KG. 595 is a very very long way below that. The car is illegal.
Ferrari were recently threatened with exclusion over 2mm on a barge board. So it would be the same.
Cheating is not a "Big deal" matter and to think that it is is despicable. If men are to risk their lives in competition, then it is proper to expect fair play.
gardenpeas
My Cars:

Post by gardenpeas »

BAR can't really appeal the FIA said if BAR lost the FIA would kick them out of F1 all together hardly fair
atleast jenson will have time to get a haircut filthy hippie
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Entirely fair. They were caught cheating, weren't they?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

They weren't cheating, they had to carry 5kgs of fuel around all of the time to make their fuel system work properly, so if they complied with the FIA interpretation of the rules they would be carrying a 5kg penalty. Instead, they opted to make 5kg of the 600kgs a permanant fuel ballast.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

But using fuel as ballast is illegal. The regs specifically state this.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I was amused that the other drivers and ITV pundits didn't seem to take the alleged cheating very seriously! Would it have been the same if they had been beaten by it?
When was an engine last measured?
jeremy
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I've just seen a Renault make a pit stop for a new nosecone. It crossed my mind that in a splash and dash at the end of a race, you could fit a heavier one if you could change it quickly enough!