Update: (Urgent!!: how to get gearbox out?)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Niek
My Cars:

Update: (Urgent!!: how to get gearbox out?)

Post by Niek »

Hello Guys,
I'm in the middle (I wish[:(]) of replacing my clutch. I've dismantled everything and have the box loose in the engine bay.
How on earth do you get it out of there? (comic book: take it down and out...[B)])
It seems that however way I turn it something else get stuck somewhere. (It's on the xm)
Any clues hints and tips are more than welcome and very much needed!
(don't want to take the box apart in the engine bay and take it out in pieces unless I have to.
BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

Which car ???
2CV6: Remove the engine, not the gear box !
BX14: Should be no problem to take it out from underneath the car.
XM: No chance to get out the gearbox unless you remove the subframe. Just put the box aside and then replace the clutch. You've got about 5 inches between engine and gearbox...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Niek</i>

... get stuck somewhere. (It's on the xm)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
[:p]
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

If its like a Xantia you need to move the clutch lever arm to disengage the thrust bearing.
BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
(It's on the xm)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ooooooops, did not read that... Just like mentioned before: the gearbox cannot be taken out of the car unless you remove it together with the engine. You've got to put it aside and change the clutch.
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

Yeah I'm being sensible and gave up trying to get it out.
I noticed that the intermediate bearing on the right driveshaft it a little gritty and it can move 'diagonally' a little bit (makes sense?) anyway I guess I should replace that too?
BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

Yes, replace the bearing. If you do not, I'm sure it will start making noise in 2 or 3 weeks and you'll have to get the driveshaft out once again.
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

Update:
I'm done!![:D]
I finished this morning (last few things oils, battery etc...) and she runs fine again.
Actually the clutch is now featherlight and very smooth. (should have done it two years ago)
In the end the maximum room I could create between the engine and gearbox was about 10cm, which prooved to be enough but makes replacing the lefthand driveshaft seal as well as making sure the clutch is properly aligned a bit awkward (or you could go out and get the proper tool for that)
All in all this is definetly not an easy job and not something for the fainthearted. I did by myself which is also not advisable because having someone around when trying to get the gearbox back on the engine could be very useful. Took about 18 hours I guess, but is not something to be done in one go beacause you'd go completely mad!
Anyhow very happy and NOT looking forward to doing that again anytime soon (I hope the Bx holds on to it's clutch for a while, although that might be a little easier)
BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

On a BX14 the clutch can be replaced in 3 hours or in 2 and a half if you do it very often. (On an XM it can be done in 5 hours with some experience...).
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

Right...
Thanks for that I hope I won't do it so often that I'll ever make it in 5 hours.
Also, to be complete, the right hand drive shaft cannot be left in place because you don't have the room for the gearbox to let it slide out completely. (I took it out halfway through)