306 DTurbo Clonking rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pug_owner2002
My Cars:

306 DTurbo Clonking rear suspension

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Hi,
I have got a 1997 R reg phase 2 306 DTurbo which has developed a clonking noise on the rear suspension.
I have managed to pin point it to be making the noise on the drivers side rear.
Looking underneath there is a rod with a spring on next to the damper (only on the drivers side), this rod and spring assembly seems loose.
Should it be loose? and does anyone know if this noise is a common problem?
The car has done 113000 miles and is serviced every 6000 miles so is well looked after.
Cheers!
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Just been told it looks like the shock absorber may be the culprit, will know for definate later on today.
Does anybody know what the rod with the spring on near the right hand rear shock absorber is?
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Its a valve to stop the rear brakes locking up. The spring does jangle around.
Sometimes the whole unit seizes up because it's so exposed. If you look, it has a hinge, check this free to move.
Penetrating spray and a bit of effort with the mole grips gets moving if it's stuck, then smother it in copper grease.
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Have just changed the shock absorber but the noise is still there.
The sprig/rod assembly is loose and is not the culprit for the noise.
I have now been told that the rear axle might need to be changed as it is torsion beam suspension and is quite a common fault.
Does this sound correct?
Any help with this is much appreciated!
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

The bushes in the beam wear, and creak, groan etc.
The rear of my 205 started groaning three years before it completely gave in, causing an MoT failure.
Many posts on here about rear wheels leaning in at the top, which is one symptom.
Does the suspension creak when you push the back down? My 205 had got so bad that when you pushed it down it wouldn't come back up.
If the beam etc is worn, the only sensible option is to take the whole assembly off and replace it, which means ringing the scrap yards. Worn rear beams are common on Pugs and Cits which use the set-up.
You'll have to decide how bad it is, and whether you can live with it if it's not too serious.
Then again, it might just be the sub-frame mounts.
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Hi Ralph,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes it does creak and groan when you push the back down and when pulling away from junctions etc...
It only appears to be on the drivers side at the moment.
I have tried oiling various areas on the rear drivers side suspension and it doesn't seem as bad.
Cant even hear the noise with the stereo on so I think I'll live with it for a while.
Thnks again for the help!
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

if the rear feels twitchy when driver especially round corners then its the rear rubber bushes
the ones between the submount and car body
i think are are two on each side, but commonly oe fails
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

The back end does not feel twitchy but the sound does appear to come from up near the rear axle front subframe mounting (not sure if the sound is just tavelling through the metal to there).
I have been told if it is the axle that is starting to wear that it may be possible to quiet'en down the noise by drilling a hole near the end of the beam, tapping a thread into the hole and fitting a grease nipple and then pumping grease in (apparently this used to be done on the old austin 1100 that had torsion beam suspension).
Has anyone ever tried this?
Thanks.