Xantia Gearchange

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ghostrider
My Cars:

Xantia Gearchange

Post by ghostrider »

Just thought I'd update this, about a week after all this my wife set out for London at 4.30am [:(], I was awoken at about 6.30 with a cup of tea from wife who had driven some 45 miles in 3rd gear due to the gear linkage rods falling apart at the rubber bushes. Down to local Cit garage bought new linkage rods (long one ?10.50 short ones with revised ends ?6.50 each) fitted it all fine but now third gear is decidely iffy, clutch to the floor off the accelerator count to 3 and it engages perfectly, try to rush it and it crunches every time, guess the synchro must be knacked, does it matter which gearbox I fit? as long as it came from a 1.9TD? The clutch needs doing anyway, not helped by that drive, but I don't want to do the job twice so I might as well change the 'box at the same time
________
No2 vaporizer review
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Are your new link rods all adjusted correctly?
It doesn't matter what you get a gearbox off, as long as its the same BE3 gearbox that the 1.9TD comes with.
Some 1.9 TDs come with a different box, the people carriers and the vans may get that one instead of the BE3, no doubt somebody else will be able to tell you which comes with what.
The XU 1.8 (8v and 16v), XUD 1.9 & TD, XU 2.0 8v/16v all come with the same box. Its in the ZX, Xantia, 306 and 406 amonst others.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

You do have to be careful about final drive ratio though. Seemingly identical BE3 gearboxes from similar engines can have different final drive ratios, either for differing wheel sizes, or simply to suit the individual model of car. Other than knowing what car a gearbox came from, and checking the HBOL for the final drive ratio, I don't know of any way of checking. (I'm sure someone else will though!)
Changing final drive ratio is possible, but because it involves stripping the box to change the secondary shaft output gear, I doubt you'd actually want to do that!
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

the "different" box is the ML5t which is cable driven and normaly has a hydrolic clutch.
Andy
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Did a differential swap last weekend on a TD Xantia, both cars same year but they had different numbers of teeth on the crownwheel, check before you leap! also check the length of your old shift rods compared to new, some have length adjustment and that may be the cause of third being crunchy (though its often the first to go)
Stewart
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Try loosening the clutch cable under the airbox. Turn the nuts out about 5mm and try out the gear changes again. Mine had gear crunches too until I adjusted the cable.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as johnCKL has said he is possably right as the first thing to check if gear crunching is cluth adjustment because it dont cost any dosh regards malcolm
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

ActivaV6 did have a 1.9TD box for sale if memory serves.
Andy, did you sell that or do you still have it?
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Thanks for that people, clutch is on its way out as there is no adjustment left and pedal travel only just makes the minimum distance, question is, is it just the clutch? I'd hate to change it then do it all again just to change the box [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(]. The new linkage rods are non adjustable for length so no joy there, I'll check the gearlever adjustment as I fiddled with that whilst trying to lube that end, but it's a faint hope. As I've had 3 years total reliability from this one, I'm not complaining, but I may do better just to scrap it and buy something else or even another one, but I'm beginning to think that its time to change from cits after 25 years, just some different problems would relieve the boredom of the same old problems [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]
Pete
________
Girlfriend Pictures
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Still got it, sure i can sell it cheep if it helps. Vanny had my good clutch i think (he took one that my friend ollie gace me that was only on a car for about 4 days!