Xantia Temperature warning light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiav6

Xantia Temperature warning light

Post by xantiav6 »

Today the temperature warning light (and STOP light) on my Xantia V6 started coming on.
It came on about 5 times, for periods of 10s to 30s, during a 50 miles trip.
The temperature guage was steady at 70, and the fans were running at half speed with the A/C on. Turning the A/C off did not make the warning light go off.
When the engine cooled, I checked the water level, and it took 500ml to bring it up to the level I normally fill it (last checked a couple of months ago), but even after refilling, the lamp came on a couple of times.
So what can cause this?
Faulty sensor (which one(s)?)
The dreaded Bitron box (where is it on a V6?)
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

Don't know how this thread got this title, It was meant to be Xantia Temperature warning light
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

When my V6 did this it was the sensor at fault. (brown one)
BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

Normally the STOP Light and the flashing temp warning light appear when the fans do not work properly. There should be 3 relais somewhere between the 2 fans that control the low/high speed of the fans. These are often the cause for problems like this. If the V6 has a BITRON box (I must admit that I don't really know), it should be under the left headlight.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by xantiav6</i>

Don't know how this thread got this title, It was meant to be Xantia Temperature warning light
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> - I corrected it [;)]
jochem
My Cars:

Post by jochem »

it may be that the coolant sensor needs replacing as your fans are still working. It's easiest just to get Citroen to check the fault log on your engine management computer, and then get them to reset it.