Bonking driveshafts? Or something else? BX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Flynn

Bonking driveshafts? Or something else? BX

Post by Flynn »

Just started hearing/feeling slight bonk at low speeds today. Doesn't exactly seem to be on letting the clutch in and can't hear it in reverse.
Anyone any thoughts or think it might be something else?
And if it is a drive shaft how much would it cost to have done and how urgent is it likely to be?Cheers.
Edited to add it's a 16v with ABS and I see the shafts are priced at £64-50 at GSF.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

It is pretty urgent since it can be very expensive.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If it is a drive shaft CV joint it will be much worse on cornering and more or less quiet in the straight ahead position. Could be a loose wheel of course.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Is it from one side only? Could be either bottom ball joint or droplinks. Bottom ball joint usually results in uneven tyre wear usually on the inside edge of tyre. To check Jack it up, depressurise and then lift the relevant wheel and try pulling on the rim at the 12/6 o'clock position there should be no appreciable movement, it can help to have someone watch the bottom B/J while your pulling at the rim, droplinks can be checked at the same time by pulling on them to check for play. One other possibility is the lower engine mount, and or where it is attached to the front subframe, this is under where the intermediate drive shat bearing on the drivers side is located
Pete
________
Michigan Medical Marijuana Dispensaries
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
Flynn

Post by Flynn »

Thanks for those pointers. Had a short drive this morning and think those more likely especially as it's sort of random. Last car I drove with drive shaft problem the noise came on full lock which this doesn't necessarily. An engine mount problem sems to fit, started very suddenly. Will have a play at the weekend.