Odd power loss (306 XSi)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Linchpin

Odd power loss (306 XSi)

Post by Linchpin »

Hey guys. Im getting an intermittant loss of power, the car seems sluggish, and is "hunting" to idle sometimes. I have had the car code-read and there is nothing up on the ECU. I have noticed, that under the hood there is a pipe with a split on it. I think its an oil breather or something like that? Basically there are 2 pipes next to each other, coming from the top of the engine down the front, together, and they are shaped pipes in a kinda S shape. Any idea if one of these pipes can cause problems like this? Its the 16V XSi model, i think its an XU engine or something like that (the 140bhp one). thanks for the help, i can provide more info on the problem if anyone wants to help out :-D
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

Just to add, on this piccy (not mine)
http://www.306gti6.co.uk/mypeugeot/modi ... engine.jpg
its the 2 pipes close to the "16V" on the head. The left hand one is split on mine.
Kev.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

The two thicker pipes on the right hand side, or the narrow pipes on the left? The right hand side ones are breaters and those on the left are the fuel pipes. Yes, a split breather here would most probably cause rough running, it certainly did when they went on my old 205. I'd do a temporary repair with some duck tape or similar and try it from there. (Note, a repair like this wont hold, you will have to replace the pipes....)
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

Yup its the breathers. Hopefully this will mean i wont need to strip the throttle body and clean it all out. Any idea if GSF do em or is it the awfull dealers again?
Cheers
Kev.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

You will most probably have to go to the dealers....
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

Ah all ordered.
Not so bad, was £8. Can live with that :-D
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Well hopefully it will cure it!!
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

Yup :-)
I hope so. Got burned off by a Berlingo. Not good, for a Superchipped XSi.
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

Ok... so the pipe is on.
Slight improvement, still soppy at low RPM's tho. Sorted out the odd engine judder on idle.
Any other ideas on what to check next?
Cheers
Kev
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

OK!
Problem solved. Got very annoying with Engine hunting on idle when wheels turning, was cutting out all the time. Got a mechanic mate of mine to remove the throttle body and it was absolutly filthy inside. 10 mins of a good spraying with Air Intake / Carb cleaner and the jobs a goodun! Still getting a slight judder when pulling off when the engine is warm, i think this is due to the induction filter drawing in warm air from the engine, so a custom design is on the way! Ill take some photos and post before / after results once its done.
Cheers for the help (as usual!)
Kev.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Cool, its always satisfying to find the problem and fix it, expeciallly whens it cheap!!
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

Yup ;)
Total Cost :
New Breather Pipe from the Stealers = £8
Carb Cleaner = £1.95
Mecanic Time = £10 and a cup o tea!