KEYS again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

druist

KEYS again

Post by druist »

just went into my local Timpsons, got my TDS-1.9 1995 citroen key duped, well i thought i had, it starts the car but wont open the door.
Which i think is a bit odd, dont you? Any ideas
Also, my drivers side lock doesnt work, passenger side locks all, my fob doesnt work (yes have changed batteries), anything i can do to get the drivers side going again?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Oil the locks with plenty of oil, and work them backwards and forwards with the original key.
Sometimes when key cutters cut keys they don't get them perfect, after all locks are designed to be secure and need EXACTLY the right key, not just a close fit.
druist

Post by druist »

thanks. whats weired is that the ignition works fine with the new key, but the locks, no, they even tried to rematch it, though good ole timpsons high st keycutters havent matched it IMO, it looks fatter
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

You'll often find that the ignition lock wears faster than the others, hence a near-fit key will work the ignition but not open the doors. Have them recheck the key. I've had to have a couple cut before one would work all the locks in the past; and it's surprising how much work they put into the key cutting once they know you'll not accept a rush job!
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

If the door lock is rotating without doing its job it is worn on the inside of the plastic housing. (A common fault if not a key fit problem). Rather than buying a new handle/lock I suggest the following remedy. Remove the whole assembly (2x 10m nuts) remove the barrel (spring loaded) and where the end of the barrel locates in to the plastic housing you will see wear. Mix up a little body filler or similar, in to the plastic area where the barrel engages and you have it!
druist

Post by druist »

cant beleive it guys, the third time took it back to the keycutters, and it now works for both locks - its better than the original.
thanks for all your help.