Leaking Rack

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BrianM
My Cars:

Leaking Rack

Post by BrianM »

For a while now there has been a leak out of the steering rack on my 97 Xantia TD. Having cleaned off the LHM, checked the pipe unions etc I still cannot see exactly where the leak is coming from, (although it is concentrated on the are where the steering column joins, not the trie rod ends area.) Is there any 'user replaceable' parts here ?. I have a good rack from a 93 TD, does anybody know if they are the same ?( look it anyway)
Thanks
Brian
97 Xantia TD
93 Xantia TD ( scrapped )
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Brian I believe the origin to the problem could be worn bushes in the ram cylinder mounts.
If the ram itself is allowed to move from the rack then the piping from pinion valve to ram will split on the unions.
Try remove the piping (NOTE the connections !) and look for hair line cracking at ends.
Jon

Post by Jon »

You could only use your 93 rack in the later car if you swapped the pinion valves over (later cars with anti-sink have different pinion). The pinion valve itself may also be leaking, noy uncommon.
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Thanks guys,
I did not seem to have a leak until after I did a hydraflush ( when I got the car could not describe the colour of the substance in the LHM tank). Have read somewhere else that a blocked return can cause leaking. If it is the pinion valve can this be replaced with the rack in the car, or must it come out ?
Brian
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If it's the same as a BX it can be done in the car.
The trick is to remove the bearing don't try to fit new seals with it in place. No doubt someone will confirm if in fact I'm correct.
Alan S
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Does this mean the it is possible to get a repair kit without replacing the whole pinion valve ?.
Apart from the odd drop of LHM on the drive it is not much of a problem ( yet !!!).
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Got a repair kit from Citroen but unfortunately there was no suitably coloured top in it, on my rack the top is clear/white but there was none of this colour in the kit. My question now is, if I want to replace the pinioin valve which one is it from the GSF shop
N43452 STEERING PINION VALVE XANTIA PINION VALVE RP 6779>
or
N43450 STEERING PINION VALVE XANTIA PINION VALVE ALL >RP6778
Does the colour of the top determine the size of the spigot that connects to the steering column ?.
or maybe it would be easier to go to the scrapyard for a complete rack ?
Brian
97 Xantia TD
93 Xantia TD ( scrapped )
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Brian,
RP 6778 comes out as 31/05/95, so I guess this is probably the change over from single to twin output pump. RP number on your car should be stencilled on the bulkhead behind the OSF suspension turret - if it's a 97 car it will probably be 7300 range. Either way, I guess you need the later one.
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Ah, now the part numbers/descriptions make sense [:I].
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Looking at the web shop it leads me to believe that the Steering rack in a petrol xantia is the same as a diesel, does anyone know if this is so. Could make sourcing a secondhand one alot easier for me [;)]
Brian