Engines Out!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Engines Out!

Post by rossnunn »

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thats about right for an aux/drive belt what engine are you going to shoehorn back in to that hole regards malcolm
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

just a 1.4 multipoint
goldfinche
My Cars:

Post by goldfinche »

Well done looks different doesnt it. Pray tell what would happen if you had to change the plugs? Only joking sorry couldnt resist it.
Best of luck, pictures please when the hole is filled up.
Cheers
Geoff.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

When I changed the aux drive belt on my older Xantia, it looked a bit like that, after 4 1/2 years and 40k miles they do tend to wear and crack a bit. The timing belt was in better condition, i.e. not cracked bit it did have a tooth wear problem because of melted plastic on a pulley.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

The aux drivebelt will continue looking like that for longer than you'd think. A few years ago I had a drivebelt that looked a fair bit worse than that, and I left it on the car, carrying a spare with me, just in case. It never failed, even after another 40k miles. Just to see what would happen, I transferred it to my next car, and carried the spare with me. Another 30k, still going round. In the end, I sold the car with this belt on it, still going round! 70k after thinking "eek, that looks bad" it was still fine!!
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Nice work Ross, but surely there's an easier way to change the belts [:D]
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

what was up with the old engine.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

lol to all.
I took the pas pump & alt off to give me more room. Notice I've left the gearbox in, something haynes say you can't do. Although I paid for it today when I came home from work and thought I could smeel gearbox oil. Went round the front of the car to be confromed with this huge! puddle - its pop'd the nearside drive shaft out a little bit & had been draining oil all over the garden. Out with the soap powder!
I'm replacing the engine because its peeing oil from the headgaskit. It also has a slight knock so priced up to get the head fixed, ended up buying a multipoint with 28K on for £55 so never bothered getting the head done
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

haynes are just about ok for refering to pics years back when GS/GSAS where common place they say if hand brake lever came out to far adjust cables on rear drums and adjustrear drums GS/GSAS did only discs all round never adjust cables first and hand brake is on front discs regards malcolm
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

If I can get a bx 16v engine in and out of my Visa's engine bay with the gearbox on, you can get a 1.4 out of a zx with box attached lol! :)
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

yeh you can, would of made it abit easier but I didn't???
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citronut</i>

haynes are just about ok for refering to pics years back when GS/GSAS where common place they say if hand brake lever came out to far adjust cables on rear drums and adjustrear drums GS/GSAS did only discs all round never adjust cables first and hand brake is on front discs regards malcolm
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Eh? I've read this 3 times now, and it still doesn't make a huge amount of sense.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I know, was just saying :) You have to really tilt the 1.9 to get it in/out of the Visa by almost 45 degrees so that the box clears.
the gsa post vaguely makes sense but its in broken english heh. Think his point is, haynes said adjust cables on rear drums but gsa's always had discs on the back and handbrake operated on front brakes
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

How are you going to get the multipoint system to work on the orginal wiring loom. I think you will find that the new engine will knock like the old one. All the 1.4is do it. As for the oil leak from the headgasket. its a very weak spot on all tu engines, and you may find the new engine starts to weep from here aswell. Although mechanically the tu engine is bullet proof and will do 200,000 miles with no probs apart from a headgasket change. Head gasket changes are fairly straight forward on these engines. far easier than changing engines.
If you get the head of the old engine, you will find that the headgasket will have split round the main oil feed to the head. Go on take it off and get some photo's.