Veggie oil - any new develpmts for HDI?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

Veggie oil - any new develpmts for HDI?

Post by 406 V6 »

Hi!
With the price of diesel rising (now at €0,94/L -> BP ultimate), i'm really, really considering going to a grocer market and buy veggie oil for the C5 (50/50).
My doubt: who has covered a good deal of kms or miles on a veggie feeded HDI? The pump is a Bosch one, and i don't know if it's advisable.
I mean, with the summer coming, the thickening of the oil is not much of a problem, but could it ruin he pump or the fuel system on any way?
Thanks as always[:)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Try the Vegoil sites on the Web, I know american guys have been running the new VW units on WVO.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

My Xantia HDI did not like Veg oil at all and the low pressure pump would not pump the fuel out of the tank, be VERY careful. I'm not sure what the fuel taxation is like for bio-diesel where you are, this might be a possible solution.
Cheers.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 406 V6</i>

Hi!
With the price of diesel rising (now at €0,94/L -> BP ultimate), i'm really, really considering going to a grocer market and buy veggie oil for the C5 (50/50).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
We pay £0.90 for diesel, If I was paying the same but in Euros I would be a very happy man.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Its times like this, I wish my car had a bosch pump on it and not a lucas one...!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Both of mine have Bosch pumps...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

at £550 for a new high pressure pump & £1000 for a set of injectors is it worth the risk ?
pantherd90

Post by pantherd90 »

I gathered you could use Veggie Oil/Biodiesal in most (diesal) cars, just with a bit of tweaking. Seems the way to go, heard about a truck a while ago that was running on it and just clocked over the 700000 mile mark.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Try this http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/for ... =79#pid533 for starters - Smartveg.com have a Hdi Berlingo running a two tank veg setup. I'd do a lot of research before putting vegoil in a common rail engine.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

The HDi was engineered to run as efficiently as possible on regular "dino diesel". It is not set up to run on WVO / SVO. PSA themselves only recommend a 5% WVO to regular diesel mix for the HDi.
As stated previously - the pumps cost a small fortune on these cars - is it really worth the risk. Having run two PSA (not HDi) diesels on varying mixtures of SVO / Diesel the one thing I have noticed is a decline in fuel economy. Its just not worth it. The HDi will comfortably do 50mpg anyway - mine has dropped about 5% since I switched from Michelin Energy tyres, so I think I will be switching back soon.
There was a post a while back by someone running their HDi on a 40/60 mix - but in therir own words it was a company car and they didnt care about the damage to the engine.
Dont even think about using Red diesel unless you want your car turining into a large paper weight and your wallet lightening by the C & E men. (May not be such a problem in Portugal - but Im sure there is dodgey diesel wherever you are).
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Our fuel options in portugal are all based on "dino" diesel[:)], LPG and regular diesel/petrol, no green fuel here yet (only the town bus company uses biodiesel). And we also have this not very legal option of SVO. I know a guy using WVO on a 1.4HDI from his family's restaurant, but he only filters it with some coffee filters and sticks it into the tank (ouch!). He seems happy though[:S]
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

I remember on a rover forum there was a guy on there who was actually making his OWN biodiesel esterification/transesterification and all this jive! Quite a few guys on their ran their perkins derived rover 2.0 diesels on straight veg oil with no probs during summer months.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

To make proper biodiesel all you need is caustic soda, veg oil and some methanol ... common household ingredients.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Why do you make it sound so complex? I just added 5 gallons of sunflower veggie oil by pouring it from the can into the fuel tank, nothing else was added and the car ran just fine.. [:)]
Both cars have Bosch pumps. There is a great deal to be said for owning bog standard, no frills, 1.9 Diesel ZX's. [:D]
"Keep it simple" is usually a good plan.. And I do "simple" very well.. [;)] [^]
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

Bit off topic but was just wondering on how you would stand if your caught using Veggie oil in your car, only reason I ask is last week in my work van I was tested by a HM Customs roadside fuel test station, guess they are more looking for people running red diesel but how do they look upon veggie oil?
Could'nt understand why they tested me, its a leccy board van so its not going to be run on anything but normal diesel.