Any one know where the crash things are on a 1.9TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Brian6262
My Cars:

Any one know where the crash things are on a 1.9TD

Post by Brian6262 »

Any one know where all the crash sensors are on an Xantia N 1996 1.9 TD with a bosh injector pump cus it wont let me start the car. The oil warning light flashes on and off in the dash and i get no glowplug light and a big stop light as well and it wont turn over at all
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The crash sensor doesn't normally disable the starter, it only shuts the fuel off (well it does on a 96 XM) maybe the oil is low or the sensor faulty, that would possibly do it.
Brian6262
My Cars:

Post by Brian6262 »

Becaus i found one crash sensor and presed it but nothing happend. what would happen if i unplug the oil sensor will that work becaus my oil level is good and the key pad for the imobliser both green and red lights are lit up now
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I dont think the immobiliser would stop the starter turning, it doesn't on mine, you may have an electrical problem, check all the battery leads fo tightness. I dont know how the system works on the Xantia, but nothing has ever immobilised the starter on my XM (although on my lawn tractor it has)
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

As far as I know nothing like immobiliser, oil level etc stop the engine turning over on a Xantia TD. Its more likely something more basic like the battery or leads, starter motor or solenoid.
Brian6262
My Cars:

Post by Brian6262 »

yes i think its the solenoid but i dont know how to fix it or reset it any one know its a bosh pump but its difrent from the one shown in the haynes Manual
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I meant the solenoid on the starter motor.....if its simply that the engine won't turn on the starter this problem will have nothing to do with the injector pump.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

....I just noticed you mentioned that the glowplug light also wasn't working. Are the battery and its connections definitely ok?
Brian6262
My Cars:

Post by Brian6262 »

All batery plugs are all verry good i tryed the old trick of puting the lights on and then trying to start and see if the lights dim at all but there seems that there is no power going to the starter. Normanly wen to turn the key all the warnng lights light up for a second or two and the glowplug light stays on longer as this is normal but mine dont do that it comes on with the stop light and a flashing oil light i cant work out what this means
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Is this the Xantia you had a crash in? If so, has it ever started normally since the accident? I'm just wondering if the wiring loom has got damaged somewhere, or one of the connectors has come unplugged.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Coincidental I know, but my ZX wouldnt turn over today, I found the live feed wire for the solenoid had become disconnected (nut had dissapeared). Put a spade connector on and cliped that on instead (I think its a better connection). While I was down there, I had the main live feed connector off as well, which was rather crusty and blue, so cleaned this and terminal. Not only did this fix my not starting problem, but the motor seems to turn over twice as quick now, and the car starts much faster.
I Recommed this treatment if your car is starting slowly.
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

hi brian, my 93tdsx had something almost exactly like this.. it turned out that the fast idle cable for the cold start device that runs from the thermostat to the diesel pump was shorting against the glowplug connectors. (the plastic covering the cable outer had worn away)I wrapped the cable and repositioned it ,and all is now well. I have to say though, that the starter still turned over. - I hope your problem is something as simply solved as mine was
Brian6262
My Cars:

Post by Brian6262 »

ill have a good look at it today. Someone at work told me to give the starter moter a good bashing what would that do?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

It may free the starter off if its jammed. The glowplug light not coming on as normal tends to suggest there's a problem with the wiring somewhere else though.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

You can bypass the solenoid by bridging the two big nuts on the back of the solenoid with a spanner[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] , lots of sparks but at least it will tell you if it is the solenoid or not, be careful not to earth the spanner while you are doing it, the engine should then turn, I started my BX like this for weeks until I could get round to changing the starter. If the engine does not turn either the starter is U/S or more likely there is an electrical problem.
Pete
________
Chevrolet kalos
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.