Pain in the butt!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Pain in the butt!

Post by rossnunn »

I started on the ZX enigne removal today. Twice it nearly found itself at the bottom of the dyke!
The first being unable to get the exhaust mounting bolt undone (under the engine) I had this problem when I first got it while trying to change the manifold/downpipe gaskit, I remember doing it back up by hand then quater turning it, to ease removal later if need be.
I must of had my weaterbix that day.
The secound was the very last gearbox bolt, some numpty had rounded the spline out. I went through everything including welding another bolt to it but that shered too. Ended up using a dremil & cut the end off the bolt the ground it down to leave just the shaft of the bolt.
So HOPEFULLY it way come out tomorrow! [B)]
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Try changing a head gasket on a 21.td XM!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I am a big fan of the bolts and springs arrangement holding the exhaust onto the menifold, especially good on turbodiesels with top mount intercoolers, I wonder how you are intended to hold a nut, washer, fibre washer and a spring in an impossible place whilst simultaneously counter holding the head of the bolt? I keep meaning to weld a piece of steel to the bolt heads to prevent them from turning buth then I struggle it all back together for another year and forget until next time[}:)] Small mole grips on the bolt head usually suffice.
Stewart
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

On the XM you have to lay under the car with one arm round either side of the crossmember with about 3 socket extension bars and a flexy bar, ratchet's no good as once the nuts come loose they go backwards and forwards, on the other end you have to use a 1/4" flexy bar and jam it in somehow. Bring back the Morris Minor I say.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

lol aaah french motoring, love it!
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

I had to replace the manifold/downpipe gasket and since the kit came with new screws, I simply avoided any unnecesary cursing and accidental removal of skin by cutting the old screws with a dremel.