BX ride - update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goldfinche
My Cars:

BX ride - update

Post by goldfinche »

hello an update. to recap ride on BX was seemingly getting hard and what I can only describe as "Jigly" umm "Gigly" oh whatever, seemed to be at the back end. Checked the high corrector linkage and it was free,oiled and greased to make sure.
Next step new spheres, guess what not a lot of difference.Was assured by several people that rear correctors do not fail. Well yes they do, that was the trouble,it apears that the suspension would go down and take a over long time to recover, hit a rough road and the suspension would end up on the bump stops, would slowly recover and then seem to be OK for a bit.
That is the only conclusion that I can come to because a new one and the car is totally different.
Stripped the old one and it was very worn,scored and full of something in between mud and grit (spelt with an "S").
Cheers.Have a nice holiday.
Geoff.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

They dont usually fail, they usually sieze up, but there's allways a first time....
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is unusual have to replace a hight corrector on abx they do normaly strip down and clean up quite often are full of sludge wonder what has been put in you cars system over the years regards malcolm
goldfinche
My Cars:

Post by goldfinche »

Hi well as regards what has been put in the system in the way of LHM here we have a complete mystery.I had changed the LHM as part of a major service/overhaul. I was unable to do the next LHM change so my son did it and reported that he had found at least 11/2 one and a half pints of WATER in the tank as well as quite a lot of emulsified LHM!! This was cleaned out and hydroclean stuff (sorry cant spell hydrocaninge or whatever it is.)put in. Was run for a few months and fresh LHM put in, This was only in for a short time and then changed again and I found a small quantity of emulsified LHM and about a tablespoon of water.I am going to run it for about a month and change the LHM again. How water got in I DO NOT KNOW, I used Total LHM+ from sealed containers.
This is worrying because I had replaced the steering rack,FDV,Pressure regulater,Rear struts and front struts and HP pump as part of a major overhaul. The reason these parts were replaced without going into great detail was that they were all time expired and leaking/failing.
If anyone knows how this much water could contaminate the LHM I would like to know please.
Sorry for the long post maybe this should be a subject.
Cheers
Geoff.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I was once offered coolant as LHM; are you sure that this hasn't happened?
That amount almost indicates something has been put in there as it's too much to be put down as condensation.
Alan S
goldfinche
My Cars:

Post by goldfinche »

Thank you alans I take the point its close to a litre isnt it.Sealed litre containers of Total + and I broke the seals myself. I will never know,will not be best pleased if its damaged components, there is only one thing to be replaced now and thats the front height corrector.
Come to think of it that bugger is a bit sticky as well. Ho hum its a Citroen,, what would I do without you.?? Answers enclosing cheques, notes or cash excepted.
Cheers
Geoff.
I was joking honest.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Many years ago when I was an apprentice we all used to go and spectate at the RAC rally, Castrol did promotional thermos flasks that looked like GTX cans, I know for a fact that one of the ford entrants had his oil topped up with soup, easily done with all those plastic bottles looking the same.
Stewart
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Now THAT was a good one Stewart [:D]
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Firstly how long have you owned this car, if you had to change all of these components because of leakage and what not perhaps previous owner put some alian fluid in the system? regards malcolm
goldfinche
My Cars:

Post by goldfinche »

Hello owned 3 years actually.The car was a low mileage 63000miles and completely original.1991.Absolutely nothing had been changed as far as I could see.All hoses still had the Citroen hose clips on.etc.The car was bought for 2 reasons,
1. It was an automatic diesel. No longer able to drive a manuel because of health problems.
2. It had a very good body with vertually no corrosion whatsoever.
I had been trying to find an auto BX for a long time and this one turned up and I grabbed it with both hands.
It will be the last car that I will have and it will be passed onto my son so as a matter of principle I would not give something to him that would be a problem.
Cheers and thank you for your interest.
Geoff.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Good evening to you Geoff. Has the rear height corrector change and the spheres sorted it out?
If you find the time, could you tell those on the Forum that don't know, what else has been done to your "19D Auto" (I know)
Jon
goldfinche
My Cars:

Post by goldfinche »

Thank you Jon[:D][:D] It does apear to be sorted, the suspension is now working without bottoming out which is what it was doing I think, by the feel of it. It also looks as if you should be congratulated because it would not stay up for long ----- OK titter ye not --- I was talking about the rear suspension chaps, it now stays up for at least 1 1/2 days which is the longest Ive left it unused. So your theory about leaking rear height correctors causing the rear end to go down looks to be spot on.
Ta for your interest Jon.
I could do a short thing about the car, I didnt think it would be of much interest or rather that no one would be as daft as I was.
Put in the general section perhaps, Ile leave it to you.
Cheers.
Geoff.