BX heater control not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adamskibx
My Cars:

BX heater control not working

Post by adamskibx »

Does anyone know where the problem lies? Basically the cold/hot air adjuster on my BX spins round really easily and when you put it on cold it springs round to medium temperature so its as if the cable is stuck somewhere. Is the problem likely to be behind the contols or in the engine bay? I have taken the controls out on my last BX to change the bulbs and it was a bit fidely but im hoping the problem is in there as its not too tricky to get at. Cheers, Adam
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Have a grope around in the drivers footwell, left side alongside the pedals there you will eventually encounter the other end of the cable, and a lever, this operates the water valve,try moving it from this end these get sticky and are best operated regularly and always with the system warm if possible, I live in fear of problems in this area and exercise the valve regularly.
Stewart
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Cheers Stewart I will try that.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I squirt the water valve (Drivers footwell) with silicon spray whenever it starts to get stiff. Sounds as though you will have to locate it and help a bit before something breaks.
jeremy
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Umm well ive had a quick play around with it. It seems I can adjust the heater down at this lever but something is going wrong between here and the control. No matter what position i leave the lever in (reasonably stiff but not too hard to move), it doesnt seem to make much difference to how the control feels- looks like an investigative job for the weekend!! From what I remember of my last BX there is a clamp that clamps the cable-im hoping its just this thats let go of the cable. Also it looks like the return pipe on the ns front strut has just gone when I put the suspension on max! On my last BX I had these done by someone- does anyone know how easy they are as the parts alone are cheap-just a new pipe and metal clip i think?
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Hi Adam - I can offer help if you need it as have done a few heater/ventilation panel removals - including some cable-clip grovelling and hence have the odd spare clip and various other spare bits for heater/vent panels. It sounds as if you may have one of the following:
(1) Cable broken between control and lever (not too good - best go hunting the scrappies - but you need to verify this first).
(2) Clip or cable sprung off behind white heater/vent panel (fiddly, knuckle-skinning, but not impossible).
(3) Damage to the control knob itself (as easy as you'd imagine) or the plastic cog assembly it fits onto (see 2).
I'll forward my mobile number in an email (lost yours, I'm afraid - who was it said paper was a better idea...).
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Thanks David I appreciate that- Ill give you a call if im stuck which I probably will be!! Ill take the central console apart and see if its something simple first. I think the gear is working as if I tug on the whole cable ie the outer bit, the control spins round so there is some sort of conection there but its not as it should be. Think I lost your number too!! :-) Maybe paper really isnt the best form of storing information! Speak to you soon, regards Adam
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

The white plastic has broken in several places. None of the cables are secured so the air channeling knob wasnt doing anything either. It seems as though I need a new white bit with some clips.
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Its very odd actually- there are actually 3 cables not two- the middle control is for fan speed-I have absolutely no idea what the cable is suppose to do as the fan speed is altered electrically from this panel. Does anyone know what the cable does? Is it purely to make the control feel like the others? I cant imagine Citroen going to that sort of trouble when it comes to refinement!! so id imagine it has another function.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Adam - I have a complete white panel and should have enough spare clips. Yours will almost certainly be found on top of the radio or within the skirts of the lower central console. I'll give you a call or text as I've now seen your contact details elsewhere. The mystery cable may just open/close the main air vent.
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

I've got problems with my BX's heater. Basically there is an issue with the valve that the heater control actuates.
Does anybody have any info to actually remove the offending valve and clean it up so i can finally have a fully operational heater again???
Sounds like this is a really common fault, maybe something could be put in the 'common fixes' section of the forum (or is something already there???)
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

The valve is getattable if you remove the lower column shroud. The operating lever can then be worked by hand, with a little loos'nin juice to flood the cable and linkages. They rarely jam solid and can usually be fixed without dismantling (Which you really won't enjoy.)
kiwichas
My Cars:

Post by kiwichas »

juiced it worked it loosened it even manually vigorously,tied a rope to it, yanked it but the rotten valve still does not turn off completely,allowing hot air through, just enough to annoy could it be faulty, is it replaceable. Gettin hot in here, would not bother you up north I guess. Bet they fail in the off position up there, being upside down of course...
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I used to have one customer who would bring his BX to me in autumn for the heater to be switched on and again in spring for it to be turned off! ee, it takes me back to the old days when VW beetles used to have those heater cables........drifts off into dream[8D]
Stewart
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Quote "Adam - I have a complete white panel and should have enough spare clips". Thanks a lot for that David its worked a treat! Also inspired me to fix the drivers sticking electric window and the drivers side central locking sensor-this was all a doddle after fiddling about with those cables!! You even have to connect them up in a certain order or they are imposble to connect up to the mechanism. Everything in the interior now works as it should and the car is doing well.
Adam