Synergie 1.9TD sludgey filler cap

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ebod
My Cars:

Synergie 1.9TD sludgey filler cap

Post by ebod »

Hi all,
I've had my 98 Synergie 2½ yrs and despite recent woes of a busted ECU after a clutch change its been a real gem, I'd certian buy another but would prefer to hang in to it until the HDI C8 gets affordable in the 2nd hand market.
Late last year during an oil change I noticed that inside the filler cap was quite sludgey, made up mostly of condesation water. At the same time I've noticed it consumes a small amount of water over the months, maybe a cupful per month.
The car behaved perfectly in respect of temperature, it settles nicely at ~75°C and only creeps up under heavy loads/climbs.
When it starts up in the morning, it always fires up first time, but in every case it is always lumpy/ slightly smokey for 30 seconds until it settles down. I always tell the wife not to set of/rev the car until ~20secs so the turbo is oiled up etc.
There is also a slight trace of antifreeze around the coolant cap and I would guess the coolant cap is orginal even though I had the antifeeze changed last summer.
.....so what I'd like to know is, does any of the above symptoms suggest any problems that relate with each other.
I'm not ready to start panicing that my HG is failing, but I could buy into the possiblity that the coolant tank cap is possibly not doing what it should. That could explain the coolant stains/losses.
...but what about this lumpy/starting which has been a common theme for 2 years with it. I did put 3 new glow plugs on it in 2002 but couldn't access the nasty little fecker behind the fuel pump.
Could this be the pump or injectors ?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Oh yeah ...
That nasty little 4.th plug ...
- which is a common reason for lumpy coldstart running.
A new filler cap could give peace in mind for a 5'er, and a new missing plug could give a pleasant coldstart for years ...
And then the job is no more half done [8)]
The best check for HG failure is bubbles in te filler neck while engine is running. Do that from could engine - not to scald yourself.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi ebod fistly when engine stone cold remove rad/header tank cap cranck engine over if water gushes out of filler neck pos gasket gone or cracked headif that is fine replce cap run engine till ra fan cuts in wait for it to stop then with causion remove cap if slight presure hiss all should be ok if it erupts you probably have head troubles or if you are luck just air in system in this case remove plug at topright hand side of rad put heater control full on to hot with heater fan off fill water until it comes out plug hole let it settle and stop sinkingreplace plug then repeat earlier proces if it still erupts 99%head gasket faliure or craked best of luck malcolm
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

If that was the case then shirley I'd have temperature probs, excessive water consumption , and French mustard on the oil dipstick.
The car runs fine, just a bit lumpy on start-up and a <u>bit</u> of water loss.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Could be the header tank cap,as mine went & started leaking small amounts of water.As Anders said,its only about a fiver or so.
Lumpy start up could be your glow plugs,& or leak off pipes on the fuel injectors,letting air into the system like mine.Try using the glowplugs twicein the morning.Let the light go out,turn off & on & let the light go out again.If it starts better,proberly the glowplugs.Also,try pumping the fuel primming bulb before start up.If this helps,could be the leak off pipes.
I did my glow plugs at the w/end(all 4 of them!)Took about an hour & a half from start to finish,including taking the intercooler pipes off etc.I put Beru in,and it started perfecly.The old ones were 2 yrs old & in perfect condtion,but cheapy plugs.
Where are you?I`ll do them for you if you want.
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

Thanks NP, the idea of the perishing return pipes could be feasible as the car is now 6yrs old with 120K miles.
It does start okay even trough winter so I wasn't sure the nightmare glowplug was the cause. The other 3 were done by me late 2002 and the were Beru's. The other unused one is in the garage on a shelf somewhere.
I'd love someone to put this fecker of a plug in behind the pump. The added challenge is the fact this engine is sunk into the bulkhead of a Synergie which is hard to access.
http://freespace.virgin.net/ian.jarvo/top-bay.JPG
If you fancy a challenge and the loss of a few layers of skin from your knuckles, the car is in East Rochdale but could be taken to Leeds where I work.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You pay the (double) trip [?][8D]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

You pay the (double) trip [?][8D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Unfortunatly,i live in Bristol[:(],so would be about a 400 mile round trip!So sorry.[:)]
Looking at the pic though,it doesn`t seem any worse than mine.I have to remove the intercooler crossover pipes,& a few fuel pump pipes to get to no4.[:)]