Can spheres be re-gassed in situe?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SethY
My Cars:

Can spheres be re-gassed in situe?

Post by SethY »

When I came to replace the rear spheres on my Xantia last night, I noticed that the spheres appear to have a valve on them. there is a plastic cover under which lies a hexagonal screw which looks very much like a valve. The shperes that I bought from GSF to replace them don't have this 'Valve'. What is this valve for and can they be re-gassed in situe?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The "genuine" Citroen reconditioned spheres I've had in the past had a plug with a couple of flats and a screw thread cut into the top of it, under a yellow plastic cap but there was no valve in them.
You can get valves (Technosir do them I believe) that allow you to regass your spheres in situ, assuming you have access to a bottle of compressed gas and a regulator.
SethY
My Cars:

Post by SethY »

Ah, I see. I’ll be needing the sphere removal tool after all then! Thanks for your help.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The refill valve would look a bit like an oversize tyre valve which by some means have been screwed in - i.e. a hexagon bolt like.
If it is present, the sphere can be checked/regassed in-situ.
Interestingly the cap can be replaced with a valve in-situ.
http://www.westroen-spheres.co.uk/ is one reputed company that does it.
Meaning just a refill - and no more tools the rest of the car's life.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

After I'd had my BX for 2.5 years, I took it to an indi Citroen garage to let themn look at the spheres. They fitted valves, regassed and charged me about fifteen pounds a corner. After a couple of years, they checked the pressures and regassed and charged me a fiver for the four. They made the same charge again three years later. But then when I went a third time, they regassed and charged me 15quid for each. That's when I started getting new spheres from GSF. I've continued with the Xantia.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi sethy yes they as johnd said it was about £5 squid per corner to have them toped up but the quarter inch nylon blader inside do clap out with age and can no longer hold nitrogen you are beter of replacing them with brand new from G/S/F at the price they charge smooth motering malcolm