306 blower motor

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bigdjag

306 blower motor

Post by bigdjag »

Hi I have a 1996 306 XLTD with a problem. The blower does not work I have checked the fan by puting 12 volts across it and it works ok I stripped and cleaned the heater controls and they are ok the problem seems to be there is no power going to the fan speed switch. All the fuses are ok. The haynes manual mentions a relay and a resistor pack but dosnt tell you where they are does anybody know where they are all was working fine before and no signs of anything packing up, anybody any ideas. Also when the car is moving there is no air comming onto the passanger compartment no matter where the heater dials are nothing to the windscreen floor or vents and they were working ok until the blower stopped working I would have thought that even with the fan not working you still get air in when the car is moving. Anybody with any ideas will be much appreciated.
Thanks Dave
solara

Post by solara »

The resistor pack is under the front plastic window wiper tray. Its on the other side behind the upper dash glovebox. In fact you may be able to get access to it by removing the upper glove box back panel. I have seen it in the haynes manual.
No idea where the relay is. Also worth checking connectors for the blower motor. I recall seeing one near the drivers side footwell around the centre column. Worth a fish around, in case of a poor contact.
If you are getting no air, your flap control cable may be broken. With the engine off, twist the vent flow control and listen for the flap opening and closing. If you cant hear it,its probably broken or popped out somewhere. The centre console for the controls is in the haynes manual.
grattsim

Post by grattsim »

HI I had something simular, where there was no power going to the control panel, however I did get air in the car from outside.
The relay is the green middle on facing downwards behind the fuse box cover. Pull it out and see if any of the contact have melted.
As Solara suggests, there is also a connector block to the left of the clutch pedal which often gets disturbed.
In addition to this there is also a double block in the passenger footwell just under the glove box, which is also worth a try.
Mine turned out to be a faulty connector on the fan motor, which also caused the relay to blow.
There are several treads on the forums here with very simular problems, should you want to do a search.
Good Luck
bigdjag

Post by bigdjag »

Update to my problem. I have now got air into the car as the control arm for recirculating the air was brocken off and the air flap was open allowing the air to go out of the car. I made a repair using super glue and a self tapping screw and that part is now working fine. I removed the top glove box but still cant find the resistor pack what does it look like and where exactally is it as there is no picture in the haynes manual. I have discovered that the fan works but only on full speed if I earth the black wire to the fan. Will check the plugs tomorrow. Will keep you updated
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

Hmm. I may be well off here but isn't it on the blower fan itself? I say that as my 405 had the same problems - fan would only work on max. Search for the threads on the forum.
Anyhow, when I went looking for a replacement I took it out of a 406 and that was fine but I'm sure (though age is catching up with my memory !!!) that a 306 I looked at was the same. I didn't take that one as the overall design wouldn't have fitted ....
So, basically, take the blower out (under the glove box right?) and it's on the base. Best to get to a scrappy and get a new one - mine was 20 quids ....
Cheers
Dave
grattsim

Post by grattsim »

The resister on my Renault was attached as part of the blower moter assembly. Sat on top of the motor housing. I would expect it to be the same for the Peugeot.