Plips eating batteries

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Duncs

Plips eating batteries

Post by Duncs »

I've got two remote plips with my recently bought 306 (R Reg) and the batteries last about a week in either plip. Is there a common fault that causes this? (I've checked the two switches inside the plip with a DVM and they're OK).
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

I've had a similar problem where the plip will not work (LED won't light up etc) and have simply removed the batteries and cleaned them and the contacts and put the batteries back in and it has worked.
Are there any signs of corrosion on the contacts that could have been caused by a split battery in the past?
Duncs

Post by Duncs »

The plips look OK inside. I must admit I was using cheap batteries (bought on ebay) and have now put some Maxell ones in so we'll see how it goes.
razzleuk

Post by razzleuk »

This is a well known fault.
The solutions are to either buy a plip off ebay or pug (remembering to swap over the little immobiliser chip inside) or get someone to re-wire your broken plip such that the battery isn't connected unless the button is pressed. I did this and mine has been fine for over a year, only downside is that i cant use the deadlock button, but this can be done manually if required so its no real bother..
Duncs

Post by Duncs »

Measured the current with no button pressed and it draws nearly a milliamp. A battery capacity is about 165mAH, so that's why it lasts about a week. Couldn't find out why it's drawing current so will have to either add another button to switch on the battery, or use the existing switch and lose the deadlock as suggested by razzleuk.